Irritation around the buttocks

I've had what I think is a rash for almost 2 weeks. It's not sore, but it feels almost like the hairs down there are being pulled. The skin between my buttocks is red, but not painful to touch.

I have HSV-1 and at first thought this was an outbreak so I took Valtrex twice a day for about a week but it didn't help. I don't think it's herpes anymore so I've started putting Kenacomb and Pawpaw Ointment on there instead.

Is there anything else I can/should be doing?
How are you? What other symptoms are present? Aside from viral infection, this could also be due to irritation, dermatitis or even infection caused by other organisms such as candida or yeast. . Superficial candidal skin infections may appear in areas which are warm and moist including the axilla, neck or groin. These rashes may appear as a red flat rash with sharp scalloped edges with smaller patches  called "satellite lesions" nearby. To rule this out, it is best that you have this checked by your doctor or dermatologist for proper evaluation. Treatment will depend on the underlying cause. Take care and do keep us posted.