Aa
A
A
A
Close
Dermatology Community
53.9k Members

Irritation

I have recently experienced redness and irritation around the meatus that comes and goes. I have been to two different GP's, both of which tested urine for any possible STD's. All the results of the urine culture's came back normal; I have had two different runs of Cipro that seemed to help but not cure? The only symptoms I seem to have is redness of the meatus, no dicharge etc... etc....The sensation is that of constantly having soap burning at the tip of the penis! Are there any suggestions???
1 Responses
563773 tn?1374246539
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
Hello,

Without examination,confirmation of a diagnosis is tough but as all STD’s have been ruled out,so it can be due to urethritis or contact dermatitis. Urethritis (an inflammation of the urethra) is usually obvious because of a urethra discharge and there is often burning with urination.

A contact dermatitis means that the penis is coming in contact with something it is allergic to.  The common products would be bathing soap, detergent used for laundering, industrial products on the hands that are not washed thoroughly before urinating, feminine hygiene substances your partner might use, sexual lubricants, condom preservatives, etc.

Pls use a mild soap like dove and mild detergent for laubdry washing.Also use cotton undergarments and wash your hands before voiding.If the symptoms persist then it would be better to consult a dermatologist.

Hope it helps. Take care and pls do keep me posted on how you are doing or if you have any additional queries.

Have an Answer?
Top Dermatology Answerers
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn to identify and prevent bites from summer’s most common pests.
Doctors argue for legislation to curb this dangerous teen trend in the latest Missouri Medicine report.
10 ways to keep your skin healthy all winter long
How to get rid of lumpy fat on your arms, hips, thighs and bottom
Diet “do’s” and “don’ts” for healthy, radiant skin.
Images of rashes caused by common skin conditions