Aa
A
A
A
Close
Dermatology Community
53.5k Members

Is It Dumb To Get My Toenail Biopsied?

Hello. About a month and a half ago I had dark blemish underneath my toenail on my left foot on the big toe.I went to the doctor and he said to watch it for a month and see if it moves. I didn't see any movement, so I went back and they sent me to a dermatologist.That was about 1.5 months ago. I have since went to the dermatologist, & I didn't detect any movement of it with the growth of the nail.  The dermatologist examined it with a scope and thinks its a hematoma but wanted to get a biopsy performed anyhow just to be safe. Later that night I detected that there was very slight movement based on up-close photos I took from the beginning of this until present, with a mm ruler in each photo .  Everything I have learned about it suggests that if it moves then it is not subungual melanoma. The disturbing part is that I didn't injure my toe that I know of, and I rarely get bruised .  This seemed to happen for no reason and it isn't like a typical hematoma in that there are a few really dark spots that are in the center of it and there is a straight vertical line that doesn't go to the cuticle or the tip but there is a straight line and this whole blemish occupies about 35 percent of the toenail.  Since the parts I can measure from have moved as the nail grows out, maybe it is just a hematoma but I am still scheduled for this biopsy. Should I get the biopsy done still,  or cancel? It's going to take my nail off. I feel like it's a good move to get a biopsy done but I don't want to seem ridiculous either. Is it gauranteed to be benign if it is moving with the nail? Cancer haunts my family and I am a candidate.  I could use some input on this. I appreciate your help!
0 Responses
Have an Answer?
Top Dermatology Answerers
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn to identify and prevent bites from summer’s most common pests.
Doctors argue for legislation to curb this dangerous teen trend in the latest Missouri Medicine report.
10 ways to keep your skin healthy all winter long
How to get rid of lumpy fat on your arms, hips, thighs and bottom
Diet “do’s” and “don’ts” for healthy, radiant skin.
Images of rashes caused by common skin conditions