Aa
A
A
A
Close
Dermatology Community
54k Members

Is it folliculitis or HErpes?

I am 23 y/o with overactive immune system. I current am on a number of therapies for allergies and immunology. since nov 2013 have had a stubborn rash that typically only goes away with steroids/antibiotics. the dermatitis covers my bib/ turtle neck t-shirt area of my body ( usually). I often have open skin only hands and feet and torso/neck area. I get infections often. I have had three this year involving follicles under my arms and genitalia. recently I broke out in hive in my crotch after consuming  chicken and corn from tasting my toddlers food(normal for me).I took benadryl and the itch and hives subsided after I scratched a lot and let the medication do the rest. ( I couldn't help it). I went to bed a few hours later and the itch and pain subsided. I woke up sore throughout the day the pain progressed. I subsequently went to the ED thinking I had another bout of shingles due to the characteristics of the bumps and the Dr. Diagnosed me with folliculitis. He prescribed VAltrex, Hydrocodone, attarax, and an antibiotic. well I went to patient first to hopefully be tested ( I looked up why they give vaulter so I was afraid) She automatically diagnosed me with herpes. She saw what i considered to  be beautiful pink ulcers  this is after the pustules popped from my weight or friction. I kept a moist vaseline protective covering over it for comfort. I am wondering why patient first says I have herpes without testing for it FIRST and asking appropriate questions? Is this an honest Mistake? should I be worried? Because I AM!!! I do not want herpes and the folliculitis diagnosis is most fitting to my history NOT Herpes!! I need help. I can provide pictures
0 Responses
Have an Answer?
Top Dermatology Answerers
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn to identify and prevent bites from summer’s most common pests.
Doctors argue for legislation to curb this dangerous teen trend in the latest Missouri Medicine report.
10 ways to keep your skin healthy all winter long
How to get rid of lumpy fat on your arms, hips, thighs and bottom
Diet “do’s” and “don’ts” for healthy, radiant skin.
Images of rashes caused by common skin conditions