Dermatology Community
53.6k Members
Avatar universal

Is this folliculitis or something else?

A couple months ago I developed a painful bump on my outer labia near my inner thigh. It would sort of get swollen then go down then swell up again. I went to the doctor who said it was an ingrown hair and there was nothing for her to drain so just put compresses on it and also gave me antibiotics which slightly helped. A few weeks later it had swelled a bit and when I was out and about I went to the bathroom and noticed it had burst. A LOT of stuff came out. I went to urgent care b/c I couldn't see my regular doctor and didn't want it to get infected. I also asked him about what looked like bruising around it. He gave me antibiotics also and said the bruising was burst blood vessels that just looks like bruising.  He gave me a print out on folliculitis.
So the bumps have never completely gone away and there is one on the other side and still the original one and a couple near it. The do not ooze or come to a head or anything. But on the original side they are all almost black looking, there is no hair there anymore and the normal sensitivity of the skin is gone.
What is going on? Both doctors said is wasnt herpes though they didnt take a sample to test, I mean there wasn't any fluid for them to take. Is this something serious? I just worry about the lack of normal sensivity in the area, the darkness, loss of hair and the fact that new ones appear.
I know folliculits occurs in most places and I am overweight so it's a good environment for them. But why all of a sudden is this happening?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.
3 Responses
563773 tn?1374250139

Without examination it is very difficult to confirm a diagnosis,but the symptoms are suggestive of folliculitis or boils although the possibility of herpes also cannot be ignored.Boils are caused by infection of the hair follicle by staph aureus. Bacterial skin infections can be spread by shared cosmetics or washcloths, close human contact, or by contact with pus from a boil or carbuncle.

A boil generally starts as a reddened, tender area. Over time, the area becomes firm and hard. Eventually, the center of the abscess softens and becomes filled with pus. Finally, the pus "forms a head," which can be surgically opened or spontaneously drain out through the surface of the skin.

Apply warm compresses on the boil and keep the area clean.Drainage of the boil is done only when it becomes soft and forms a head.Take some over the counter pain reliever and consult a doctor for examination and antibiotics prescription.If there are recurrent boils,then pls get your blood sugar levels estimated.

Herpes presents as blisters which begin to dry out and crust over within several days. When the rash is at its peak, symptoms can range from mild itching to extreme and intense pain.So I feel that you should get the blood tests to detect antibodies for herpes.
The two best tests are Herpes Select and Western Blot.These tests will clear all airs about these bumps being herpes.

Hope it helps.Take care and pls do keep me posted on how you are doing or if you have any additional queries. Kind regards.

Avatar universal
Thanks so much for your reply. I will follow up with the doctor and get the testing you suggested. Should I go to a dermatologist for this or my primary care or gyno? I saw my primary care doctor for my last pap smear and gyno examination. But do you think I should go to a specialist instead?
I really dont think it's herpes...it doesnt crust over like you said. more like spontaneous drainage. Like today there was a little blood on the side of my underwear like one of the small ones had drained. Also the two doctors didn't think it looked like herpes. Still, I will get a test.
Thanks again for you help. If you do read this, just let me know which kind of doctor you think I should see.
Also, you recommended that I should get my blood sugar levels tested. Could this be a sign of diabetes? I had bloodwork done a few months ago and the fasting blood test was in the normal range.
Thanks, I will keep you posted.
563773 tn?1374250139

From the symptom that you have mentioned in your recent post,I feel that chances of boils/furuncle are more. Recurrent boils are found in diabetes, HIV infection, or other immune system disorders.So that is the reason I have advised blood sugar evaluation.

I feel that you should consult a dermatologist and get the examination done.He will be the best person to guide you.

I hope that helps. Please do keep me posted on how you are doing or if you have any additional queries. Kind regards.

Have an Answer?
Top Dermatology Answerers
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn to identify and prevent bites from summer’s most common pests.
Doctors argue for legislation to curb this dangerous teen trend in the latest Missouri Medicine report.
10 ways to keep your skin healthy all winter long
How to get rid of lumpy fat on your arms, hips, thighs and bottom
Diet “do’s” and “don’ts” for healthy, radiant skin.
Images of rashes caused by common skin conditions