Dermatology Forum

Itchie Skin

For about the past two weeks, my skin has been very itchie.  It doesn't look like a common rash.  It's also not in one targeted spot.  I itch everywhere, but at different times.  My feet and hips could be itching.  Or my hands and head.  It's different body parts at different times.  The place that itches looks red.  There is almost like a raised white bump.  Not a perfect circle.  Some are oval or square.  Some will be 1/2 an inch long.  They don't look like pimples, but like blisters, but there isn't anything in the bumps.  I haven't exposed myself to anything new like soaps or foods.  Please let me know what the possiblities on what this is.
Kara:

What you describe could be "winter itch," from cold and low humidity.  You might also have a mild case of hives, which are not usually from changed soaps and detergents, despite their reputation.

At your pharmacy you can pick up some Sarna lotion (OTC), an excellent anti-itch lotion.  Apply this liberally and often, mositurize after showering, humidify your bedroom if it's bone-dry, and see what happens.  If this fails, see a doctor.

Best.

Dr. R
Actually the red marks look like welts.  But they show up sometimes and other times they aren't there.
I've had the same problem with iching all over my body lately.  However, I have no particular areas of redness or anything.  I thought maybe it was the soap or even the lotion I have been using, but to no avail.  So I stopped using soap when I shower (just use soap on my private areas).  It is winter here (even in Florida) and the weather has been pretty cold, so maybe it is winter itch.  All I know is that it has been driving me crazy.  I never knew there was such a thing a "winter itch".  Generally, I have allergies to pollens, etc.  I'm glad we have this forum available to check things out without running to the doctor for every little thing.  Thank you.
My skin is itchy, and small flakes only on face, I thought it could be winter skin itch but my head always feels like bugs are in it but there arent any.  This is on my face, my chest, my legs, on my eyebrows,my back, sorta all over, but especially on my head and around my eyes.
I have also been having problems of itching all over. It has really been driving me nuts! I too have white little bumps, like blitsters, just as Kara said she did. Its mostly on my arms and hands. I'm also having alot of problems with dry splitting skin on my fingers and the bottoms of my feet. It is very painful. I wrap my fingers and heels up in gauze pads with ointment hopeing it will get better but it doesn't. What can I do for this?
This Forum is a very big help. I am going to get the sarna lotion that Kara was told to get for the itching and see how it does for me.
Thank you,
Tonya
i have had very itchy skin for three years now but what worries me about it is that i have permanent blotches on my tummy back and mostly my legs which appeared three years ago and when i get hot or after a bath or sometimes i can be just sitting relaxing the itching starts and these browm blotches turn red and then they go in a lump and drive me mad. The lumps also go a clear colour so you cannot see where the blotches were. After a while i stop itching and eventually the lumps disappear and the dark blotches appear. What is this condition and can it be treated, as my doctor in england where i live has given up and told me i have to live with it.
Learn to identify and prevent bites from summer’s most common pests.
Doctors argue for legislation to curb this dangerous teen trend in the latest Missouri Medicine report.
10 ways to keep your skin healthy all winter long
How to get rid of lumpy fat on your arms, hips, thighs and bottom
Diet “do’s” and “don’ts” for healthy, radiant skin.
Images of rashes caused by common skin conditions