Itchy Skin

My body itches all over.  This is a new development, there are no visible redness or rashes, and even my inner ear itches.  It comes and goes, it's never my whole body at once, just different places at different times and lotion doesn't help.  I am trying to figure out what could be wrong.
Itchy skin that isn't accompanied by other obvious skin changes, such as a rash, is most often caused by dry skin (xerosis).
Other conditions cause itchy skin as well. Skin conditions like psoriasis, dermatitis and hives, internal diseases like liver and kidney disorders, diabetes, iron deficiency anemia, irritation and allergic reactions to chemicals, wool, soaps, cosmetics and certain foods  can cause itchy skin.

You can apply an anti-itch cream or lotion to the affected area. Oral antihistamine, such as Benadryl can also be used. You should take a comfortably cool bath and wear smooth-textured cotton clothing. Covering the affected area with bandages and dressings can help protect the skin and prevent scratching. You should choose mild soaps without dyes or perfumes and use a mild, unscented laundry detergent when washing clothes, towels and bedding.

Please take a second opinion from a dermatologist if the symptoms persist. He/She will start with the specific medications. If an internal disease is found, whether it's kidney disease, iron deficiency or a thyroid problem, treating that disease often relieves the itch. Lastly, Phototherapy can also be tried.
I hope it helps. Take care and please do keep us posted in case you have any additional doubts. Kind regards.