Dermatology Community
53.6k Members
Avatar universal

Itchy Skin

Okay I have no idea where to place this question because there's no subtopics for this sort of question, but hopefully someone will see this and place it in the correct place or help or what not.

Hi, I've had this symptom of itchy skin for a while now: every now and then a specific area of my skin will just itch badly, and after I itch it, it'll go away for some time, and eventually itch again. There are no visible bumps or anything on that area. There seem to be some small, dull white circles of skin at some spots (about 3) from where the itching used to be, but has gone away. I've had 2 seperate instances of this itch: first on the left side of my waist, and now again on my right side, as well as a little closer towards my butt. (the first instance doesnt have those white circles of skin, only the second instance)

The first instance healed practically instantly with the use of hydrocortisone, but the second instance, the hydrocortisone didnt seem to work at all. Instead I put hydrogen peroxide on any small tears of the skin I'd make from itching, and that has made the itching lessen a bit, and make it itch less frequently. Though, its not completely gone.

This has been affecting other members of my family as well, and they can't for the life of them find out what is causing this and why. We've come to simply think that its just this old house. Though, a field mouse has gotten into our house once or twice, so just for any other possible chance at what this is... but my father has had this since even before any mice have gotten into our house.

If anyone could help that'd be great.
1 Responses
563773 tn?1374250139
Since the rash is itchy and other family members are also having it, the possibility of scabies needs to be ruled out. It is characterized by intense itching, usually at night and by small insect-type bites lesions on the skin. Diagnosis of scabies is made by scraping the skin and viewing the material under a microscope to see the characteristic mite or eggs.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

Have an Answer?
Top Dermatology Answerers
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn to identify and prevent bites from summer’s most common pests.
Doctors argue for legislation to curb this dangerous teen trend in the latest Missouri Medicine report.
10 ways to keep your skin healthy all winter long
How to get rid of lumpy fat on your arms, hips, thighs and bottom
Diet “do’s” and “don’ts” for healthy, radiant skin.
Images of rashes caused by common skin conditions