54k Members

Itchy arms - not lichen planus - what could it be?

Hi, I have those same itchy arms as the other tormented souls.  I can tell you that it IS NOT a contact dermatitis (i've tried really hard to rule out everything that touches my outside/upper arms by process of elimination).  Allergy tests didn't show any allergies to soap, perfume, fabric etc., I have some confirmed allergies but they are all respiratory.  I too scratch until I bleed and my doctor was very concerned about the possibility of infection - it itches even when its very sore and scabbed.  It presented a lot like lichen planus but the creme for that, cannot touch this itch.  I've taken a course of prednisone and it doesn't appear to help.  I've taken pharmaceutical grade antihistamines - which don't happen to work any better than Bendryl Allergy.  My sheets are stained with the blood of my nocturnal scratching and my arms are terribly scarred and I'm losing a lot of sleep over this.  I've had it about 10 years now and while it used to be cyclical it is now more or less permanent.  Itching is most often worse at night (and no, no bed bugs either).......   What on earth is this?  And lastly I've tried pharmaceutical grade cremes, OTC medicines, sprays, cremes, I've frozen it, soaked it, heated it up and tried to wrap it in saran wrap at night to be sure the topical medicine would stay on it.  NOTHING AND I MEAN NOTHING SEEMS TO HELP.  I'm going nuts, please help.

Well,yur symptoms are typically suggestive of brachioradial pruritis. Brachioradial pruritis is an intense itching sensation of the arm usually between the shoulder and elbow of either or both arms. The itch can be so intense that sufferers will scratch their own skin to a bleeding condition.
The main cause of BRP is not known but there is evidence to suggest that BRP may arise in the nervous system. BRP may be attributed to a neuropathy, such as chronic cervical radiculopathy.

No cure has been found.The only thing that seems to help most sufferers is the application of ice to the area until the itch is diminished. Other treatments include cooling lotions like those containing camphor or menthol,capsacain or local anesthetic creams,amitriptyline and gabapentin tablets and electrical cutaneous nerve field stimulation.

Pls discuss this possibility and these options of treatment with your dermatologist.

Hope it helps.Take care and pls do keep me posted if you have any additional doubts.