Aa
A
A
A
Close
Dermatology Community
53.6k Members

Itchy skin

I have really bad skin itching it feels like someone has put me in a bag of insolation doctor gave my amtriptline an don't seem to help ..I have tried numerous allergy pills and they don't help either ..I am going out of my mind with this I am trying to keep it together but don't know how much longer I can go on seems like it is some kind of nerve problem never had this before ...Please help ..I am on Fentanyl for Fibromyalja but have been on this for 9 yrs and this started ..When I take a bath it calms it for a bit then gets worse throughout the day...NEED SOME HELP WHAT IS THIS??
1 Responses
563773 tn?1374250139
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
Hello,
Itchy skin without any rash can be due to dry skin, thyroid causes, diabetes and iron deficiency anemia. However other causes like dry skin (xerosis) due to hot or cold weather with low humidity levels, long-term use of air conditioning or central heating, and washing or bathing too much can also cause itchy skin. Apart from that, you can have itchy skin due to irritation and allergic reactions to chemicals,wool,soaps,cosmetics and certain foods, neurodermatitis, thryoid  and liver conditions as well.

Get your liver function tests  and HB levels done to completely rule out iron deficiency anemia. Oral antihistamine, such as Benadryl can also be used but may cause drowsiness. You should take a comfortably cool bath and wear smooth-textured cotton clothing.
It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

Have an Answer?
Top Dermatology Answerers
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn to identify and prevent bites from summer’s most common pests.
Doctors argue for legislation to curb this dangerous teen trend in the latest Missouri Medicine report.
10 ways to keep your skin healthy all winter long
How to get rid of lumpy fat on your arms, hips, thighs and bottom
Diet “do’s” and “don’ts” for healthy, radiant skin.
Images of rashes caused by common skin conditions