A
A
A
Close
Dermatology Community
53.5k Members

Junctional Dysplastic Clarks Nevus

Dear Forum Expert:

I recently had a Junctional Dysplastic Clarks Nevus removed from the top of my ear.  My Dermatologist wants me to see and ENT or Plastic Surgeon to have more cut out.  How concerned should I be about this mole.  Having it cut out will disfigure my ear and I am not super thrilled about it.  I have had lots of A-Typical Compound Nevus in the past but according to my chart this is the 1st "Clarks"

Should I return to the Dermatologist for another "look-see" to see of other moles look odd?
1 Responses
Hi,
Moles are flat or elevated, flesh coloured to dark-brown markings located randomly over the entire skin surface. Moles can become malignant (melanoma) requiring removal.
DYSPLASTIC MOLES are usually larger, have an irregular border and perhaps an uneven colour. These types of moles possibly convert to melanoma more frequently than a normal mole. The presence of several dysplastic moles indicates an increased risk of melanoma developing somewhere on the individual's skin.
ref:http://au.health.yahoo.com/041101/25/1v1n.html
Precursors of Cutaneous Melanoma is Atypical Melanocytic Nevus (Dysplastic Nevus; Clark's Nevus).
Precursors of melanoma are lesions that are benign per se but have the potential of turning malignant and thus giving rise to melanoma.
AMN usually arise in  late childhood. New lesions continue to develop over many years in affected persons. AMN are thought not to undergo spontaneous regression at all or at a much less rate than the other precursor types.
ref:http://www.accessmedicine.com/content.aspx?aID=750965
You should look for a change in size,shape,color or surface of a mole and report any immediately.
Have an Answer?
Top Dermatology Answerers
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn to identify and prevent bites from summer’s most common pests.
Doctors argue for legislation to curb this dangerous teen trend in the latest Missouri Medicine report.
10 ways to keep your skin healthy all winter long
How to get rid of lumpy fat on your arms, hips, thighs and bottom
Diet “do’s” and “don’ts” for healthy, radiant skin.
Images of rashes caused by common skin conditions