Dermatology Community
53.6k Members
468411 tn?1207259284

Keloid and scars

Hello, is there any help for terrible scarring and stretch marks. I am black fairly attractive and have a nice figure but I have never been able to wear a short skirt or anything above my calves as my . have been to my GP but have been told that it is a problem faceFace pain by people of my colour and there is nothing that can be done about it. I would love to go swimming with my daughter  but always have to cover up and I'm terrified of being seen naked please help with any advice or suggestion I am sooooo frustrated. I live in the UK but would consider getting help elsewhere.
3 Responses
Avatar universal
have you tried bio-oil available from chemists, quite expensive but worth the results on body scarring. nickie
468411 tn?1207259284
I will look into it Nikki thanks very much but i was thinking something more permanet like surgery. I have not been able to put all the scars on but this is just a fraction of them.  The others are flat and have a sort of a satin feel they are shiny with dark circle a bit darker than my complexion, as i said before no hair grow in this area and they go down to the bone. So they are very permanent i would like to know if i could have a skingraft  and  where i could have it done plus and estimate of the cost.
Avatar universal

'No single therapeutic modality is best for all keloids.

The location, size, and depth of the lesion; the age of the patient; and the past response to treatment determine the type of therapy used.

Prevention is key, but therapeutic treatment of hypertrophic scars and keloids includes occlusive dressings, compression therapy, intralesional corticosteroid injections, cryosurgery, excision, radiation therapy, laser therapy, interferon therapy, 5-fluorouracil (5-FU), doxorubicin, bleomycin, verapamil, retinoic acid, imiquimod 5% cream, tamoxifen, tacrolimus, botulinum toxin, and other promising therapies such as transforming growth factor (TGF)–beta3, and recombinant human (rh) interleukin (IL)–10 (rhIL-10), which are directed at decreasing collagen synthesis. '

You should consult a skin specialist and decide about the further management plan after a complete clinical examination.

You could read more about this at the following links -




Let us know about how you are doing and if you have any other doubts.

Have an Answer?
Top Dermatology Answerers
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn to identify and prevent bites from summer’s most common pests.
Doctors argue for legislation to curb this dangerous teen trend in the latest Missouri Medicine report.
10 ways to keep your skin healthy all winter long
How to get rid of lumpy fat on your arms, hips, thighs and bottom
Diet “do’s” and “don’ts” for healthy, radiant skin.
Images of rashes caused by common skin conditions