Keloids

Hi there, I have keloids all over my neck, they bleed a lot and seem to be growing towards my head, right now they are on lower part of head or upper neck. I have seen a dermatologist and he suggested having keloidosis done to remove them. My family is bit old fashion and don't want me to have keloidosis done, plus the dermatologist said that they might keep appearing in different places, so I am not even sure if the surgery is the right way to go. I feel like keloids get really bad in warm weather like under sunshine and also during winter when the heat is on, I try to avoid long exposure of sun but heating during winter is not avoidable. My dermatologist in the past has prescribed me at least eight steroid creams, they don't really make any difference. Any suggestions would help, plus if you could explain effectiveness of keloidosis that would be helpful as well.

In addition to keloids, I have eczema on my back, I have used lots of cream with indifferent results, there three spots on my upper back that have become very ichy and visual because of my itching.  Would greatly appreciate any advice on treating itchiness and eczema over all. My doctor didn't really explain that well the problem of eczema, he said since I have colored (South Asian) skin it may take years and years to go away, this might be true but it doesn't help me treat very bad itch.  Open to your advice. If necessary I could post picture of my back and neck.
Thanks for your help.

NC  

'No single therapeutic modality is best for all keloids.

The location, size, and depth of the lesion; the age of the patient; and the past response to treatment determine the type of therapy used.

Prevention is key, but therapeutic treatment of hypertrophic scars and keloids includes occlusive dressings, compression therapy, intralesional corticosteroid injections, cryosurgery, excision, radiation therapy, laser therapy, interferon therapy, 5-fluorouracil (5-FU), doxorubicin, bleomycin, verapamil, retinoic acid, imiquimod 5% cream, tamoxifen, tacrolimus, botulinum toxin, and other promising therapies such as transforming growth factor (TGF)–beta3, and recombinant human (rh) interleukin (IL)–10 (rhIL-10), which are directed at decreasing collagen synthesis. '

You should consult a skin specialist and decide about the further management plan after a complete clinical examination.

You could read more about this at the following links -

http://www.emedicine.com/DERM/topic205.htm

and

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keloid

Let us know about how you are doing and if you have any other doubts.

Regards.