Dermatology Community
54k Members
145992 tn?1341345074

Little red bumps on hands

I'm not sure anyone can relate but about a week or so ago I noticed two little red bumps on my finger.  I thought I got a splinter or something because when I touched them they were sore.  Eventually they went away but I keep having little red bumps appear on my other fingers and palms of my hands.  I have no idea what they are.  Does anyone have any experience with this or know what they could be?  Thanks.
3 Responses
1134679 tn?1260566598
Do you normally get sweaty palms?  

Just from what you've said it "could be" dishydrotic eczema.  That's where sweat gets trapped under the skin and gets quite itchy.  

It turns into an "itch/scratch" cycle where the person keeps scratching it, more bumps appear, more scratching....  Eventually the skin starts to peel where it seperated from the base when sweat was trapped.  

Instead of itching, try using hydrocortisone cream and "gently" rub the area with it when it itches.  

If you have open blisters than put some hydrocortisone cream on them and cover them with small strips of saran wrap.

Let's say you purchase 2% hydrocortisone cream.  When you occlude it with saran wrap the heat increases it to a higher percent.

In reality, if it becomes an issue, see a dermatologist for "cortisone cream" which is more potent.
145992 tn?1341345074
I may at night and not know. I usually wake up with the bumps. The thing is they don't itch at all. I will try the cortisone cream just in case.
563773 tn?1374246539
Two possibilities are there for these kind of lumps. First possibility is of myxoid cyst. It is a growth usually occurring on the finger. These cysts are believed to form from deteriorated tissues. Third possibility is of herpetic whitlow. It is a painful viral infection occurring on the fingers or around the fingernails. Herpetic whitlow is caused by infection with the herpes simplex virus (HSV).

I sincerely advise you to consult a dermatologist and discuss these possibilities with him.
I would suggest a clinical examination done by a dermatologist. It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your dermatologist. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

Have an Answer?
Top Dermatology Answerers
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn to identify and prevent bites from summer’s most common pests.
Doctors argue for legislation to curb this dangerous teen trend in the latest Missouri Medicine report.
10 ways to keep your skin healthy all winter long
How to get rid of lumpy fat on your arms, hips, thighs and bottom
Diet “do’s” and “don’ts” for healthy, radiant skin.
Images of rashes caused by common skin conditions