Avatar universal

Lump that won't go away


(background) I get a lot of problems with ingrown hairs on my face where I shave. In particular, I get occasional thickened hairs that get stuck in my skin and get very sore and resemble a black dot. I usually can free and ingrown hair with a needle or tweeze one that has formed a plug and after intial irritation and soreness they heal up.

One particular area has been causing me problems for about 8-9 months. One day after shaving I discovered a small lump under my chin area. I assumed as, hundreds of times before, it was a ingrown hair. I noticed a black dot so I tried to free the hair with a needle. For the first time I was unsucessful and made my skin very very sore. I know this was stupid.

Ever since a lump has been there and it won't fully go away. It routinely settles down and then flares up with redness and pus inside. I have been to the Doc he gave me some cream but it still persists. I have even grown a beard to allow my face a rest and let any ingrown hair cycle run it's course. However, the lump is still there and just yesterday after 9 months still produced pus even though I haven't shaved for around 2 months and have not aggravated the area in any way by squeezing etc.

The Doc mentioned a cyst but why is the lump fluctuating in activity by forming pus and it is always red. If it was just a skin coloured lump that would be ok but it is unsightly and I am worried that it seems to be still "doing something" after such a long time! I am getting married in Sept 2011 and if he hasn't healed by now I am scared it wont heal by then either. I know it sounds trivial but my skin is clear apart from this.
3 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Avatar universal
Any comments please
Helpful - 0
363110 tn?1340920419
Hi there!
The spot sounds very much like it could be a cyst that's fluctuating. The fluctuating could be due to whatever bacteria is in it at the time.

You should get it biopsied ASAP just to make sure that it's not something more than just a cyst. Cysts can be taken care of by a dermatologist.

I'd suggest going back to your doctor, and telling the doctor everything you've posted including its been 9 months and that the cream didn't help it go away.

Cindie (Martikadragoon)
CL Dermatology
Helpful - 0
563773 tn?1374246539
It can be a sebaceous cyst. A sebaceous cyst is a closed sac occurring just under the skin which contains a "pasty" or "cheesy" looking substance called keratin. They may occur anywhere on body but scalp, ears, back, face, and upper arm, are common sites for sebaceous cysts. Blocked sebaceous glands, swollen hair follicles and excessive testosterone production will cause such cysts.

Generally no treatment is required but they become painful then it means they are infected,Then surgical excision by traditional wide excision, minimal excision, and punch biopsy excision may be required.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Dermatology Community

Top Dermatology Answerers
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn to identify and prevent bites from summer’s most common pests.
Doctors argue for legislation to curb this dangerous teen trend in the latest Missouri Medicine report.
10 ways to keep your skin healthy all winter long
How to get rid of lumpy fat on your arms, hips, thighs and bottom
Diet “do’s” and “don’ts” for healthy, radiant skin.
Images of rashes caused by common skin conditions