Dermatology Forum
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Avatar universal


A member of my family has been diagnosed with Cutaenous Mastocytosis.  They have been seen at the Mayo Clinic in Jacksonvillve,   and had many tests / samples taken none of which contained anything other than Cutaenous Mastocytosis.  No doctors to this point have been able to help or treat this condition.  They have tried Antihistimines and Gastrocrom.  Nothing has helped so far,  do you know of any doctor that specifically treats this rare disorder?   Thanks!
2 Responses
242489 tn?1210500813
You are correct that mastocytosis, in which the skin is infiltrated with many mast cells that release histamine and other chemicals, is rare. No doctor or clinic's name in particular springs to mind.  Certainly the folks associated with Mayo would know what to try.  I suggest you get in touch with patient support groups for this condition for tips on treatments people have tried and physicians they have consulted.  One place to start is the Mastocytosis Society at http://www.mastocytosis.com/, but I'm sure a web search will turn up others.  

Sorry I can't be more specific.  I've never seen a case myself.

Dr. Rockoff

Avatar universal
I have commented below under another person's post on Urticaria Pigmentosa.  Isn't that another name for cutaneous mastocytosis?
(as nearly as I can tell from mastocytosis.com, it is)
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn to identify and prevent bites from summer’s most common pests.
Doctors argue for legislation to curb this dangerous teen trend in the latest Missouri Medicine report.
10 ways to keep your skin healthy all winter long
How to get rid of lumpy fat on your arms, hips, thighs and bottom
Diet “do’s” and “don’ts” for healthy, radiant skin.
Images of rashes caused by common skin conditions