Molluscum Contagiosum - alternate causes?

Hi, over the past 6 years I have had 4 single Molluscum Contagiosum bumps develop at different times: One under each eyelid and twice on penis shaft. Each time, they have not gone away on their own. According to the CDC, the bumps can be caused be weakened immune system via HIV or Cancer treatment, Atopic Dermatitis and/or living in a warm humid climate.

None of the CDC's causes correlate to my circumstance and I do not have any STD's/STI's. Is it possible that I have a different immune deficiency? How can I test? The first time I thought it was a fluke, but the bumps seem to periodically reoccur and do not go away on their own.

Thanks!
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
If it's Molluscum it's extremely contagious and there is no cure. The center of the bump contains the contagious part and it it gets onto other body parts a new bump appears. Don't reuse clothes or towels. Don't share with anyone. If someone else is infected you can get it. You don't become immune once you had it, it can reoccur.

I describe it to others as a wart and a chicken pox had a baby.

It's best to keep bumps covered.

We tried soaking in salt water, applying Bragg's apple cider vinegar, Retinol, tea tree essential oil, Epsom Salt soak (avoided baths because if it popped in the water it could attach to other areas), some people had success with Tagamet (Cimetidine).

When you wash your clothes use the hottest water. We bleached the bathroom after every shower and sprayed Lysol after every use. Clothes were sprayed with Lysol before they went into the clothes hamper. We sprayed the clothes hamper once laundry was put into the washer. The Molluscum last for 18 months.

Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Dermatology Community