Dermatology Forum

Molluscum contagiosum, Herpes, or Genital Warts

A year ago I noticed bumps around the base of my penis that looked like shaving rash. I had a PA-C in a dermatologists office look at them. She told me I had Molluscum contagiosum, she gave me aldara, told me to stop shaving and two months later I went back and she froze what was left and I continued on the aldara. I didn
Your story doesn't make a lot of sense.  Molluscum and herpes don't look anything like each other.  I suggest you see an M.D. dermatologist (perhaps the one who employs the PA), and suggest a possible herpes 2 blood test.  A negative one would go a long way to reassuring you and clarifying th situation.  Your description does not sound like herpes (and the culture was negative.)  Ask the dermatologist.

Take care.

Dr. Rockoff
My question was whether or not you thought i had genital warts or Mulloscum
If they were any kind of wart, they would be molluscum.  Who said they were genital warts?  The PA said herpes.

Only someone who sees you in person can render a specific diagnosis.

Dr. Rockoff
I and others have experienced issues with Aldara before where it causes pain. Since the lotion is super potent, it's easy to get it on your testicles and it will cause burning. Did the burning go away after you stopped using the Aldara?
A related discussion, Molluscum Contagiosum was started.
Learn to identify and prevent bites from summer’s most common pests.
Doctors argue for legislation to curb this dangerous teen trend in the latest Missouri Medicine report.
10 ways to keep your skin healthy all winter long
How to get rid of lumpy fat on your arms, hips, thighs and bottom
Diet “do’s” and “don’ts” for healthy, radiant skin.
Images of rashes caused by common skin conditions