My legs still itch.

When I was 7 months pregnant I got a really bad rash on my lower stomach and then it continued down to my legs and on to my arms. It got so bad, that  during the nights I was awake for hours just scratching away at my legs, stomach, and arms.  After my baby was born, the rash on my stomach went away and the icthing on my arms did too. It's now been 4 months since my baby was born and the itch on my legs still continues. I tried all sorts of creams and ointments but nothing seems to work. It especially itches more after I get out of the shower. I put lotion on (thinking that my legs might be dry), but nothing works. PLEASE GIVE ME SOME ADVICE of what I should do.

Thank you,
Chuli

Pregnancy related allergy reaction are known and seen anytime in pregnancy. They present with lesions anywhere in the body and are relieved with end of pregnancy and anti-allergics.

How are you doing now? Have you consulted an allergy specialist for your symptoms?

Have you had any benefit from calamine lotion and antihistamine medications?

This could be related to hormonal changes associated with the pregnancy and postpartum period. 'The varied collection of skin peculiarities that crop up during pregnancy, including rashes, redness, acne, discolorations, and other eruptions.'

'It's those pregnancy hormones at work yet again, causing your pores to secrete excess oil, making you vulnerable to heat rash, and visiting discolorations on your face, legs, palms, and soles. They're even responsible for a particularly unpleasant kind of skin eruption known as PUPPP (pruritic urticarial papules and plaques of pregnancy), or lesions in your stretch marks. Skin tags, or small, raised growths on the skin, are common during pregnancy, too, particularly under your arms.'

You could read more about this at the following link -

http://www.whattoexpect.com/pregnancy/symptoms-and-solutions/skin-changes.aspx

Your doctor/dermatologist would be able to provide you help here.

You need to wash the areas several times with fresh water. Do not use any cosmetic products at the sites.

Apply calamine lotion at the site of the lesions and see if it helps. You could take some oral antihistamine medications like cetrizine or loratadine. You need to maintain a good personal hygiene .

Anti-itch drugs, often antihistamine, may reduce the itch during a flare up of eczema, and the reduced scratching in turn reduces damage and irritation to the skin.

For mild-moderate eczema a weak steroid may be used (e.g. hydrocortisone or desonide), whilst more severe cases require a higher-potency steroid (e.g. clobetasol propionate, fluocinonide).

Hope this helped. Let us know if there are any other queries and keep us posted on your health.

Best regards