Dermatology Community
53.7k Members
Avatar universal

Need help with Eyelid rash

I am in desperate need of help. For the past month or so I have been dealing with a terribly annoying and irritating eyelid rash. I have been to 2 doctors, been diagnosed with a few different things and paid a ton of money on prescription medication. No one really seems to know what is going on or how to treat it.

About 4 weeks ago, I had a terribly itchy eye. I didnt think much about it and just started to rub it to get relief. By the next mornign, my eyelid was swollen, red and itchy. I suffered through much of the weekend and on Sunday went to an urgent care center. They hardly looked at my eye but diagnosed me with blepharitis, and prescribed an oral antibiiotic (also which is also used to treat an std), and a cream to put inside of my eye. I used this for a few days, although nothing was wrong with my actual eye.. And of course it didnt help.   I went to my primary care physician, who said that he thought it was an allergy. He did a thorough exam.. didnt find anything wrong with my actual eye, but prescribed an allergy eye drop.  this didnt help and in the meantime, it spread to my other eye. He later prescribed an oral steroid which cleared up the swelling.  

But its back.  I have never had an allergic reaction to anythign really, but as I try to trace the cause of this issue to a single source, it seems that it started when I visited the MAC cosmetic counter at a local mall. REading different blogs, it seems that the wipes they use there have caused people to have similar reactions.  Although I've ceased wearing makeup for much of this ordeal, I did wear some over the weekend for my birthday party and I'm revisited by this rash on (just one eye).  I've cleaned brushes, and the makeup that i wore was not contaminated previously.  Does this mean that I can no longer wear makeup on my eye (although I have had no issues in the past).. Has anyone had any relief from this sort of rash that has been long lasting? What type of doctor should i visit for this? An eye doctor or a dermatologist?  Any help would be helpful!
2 Responses
563773 tn?1374250139
It can be due to contact dermatitis. Avoid using any lotions and creams for the meantime. Wash the area with a mild cleanser with moisturizing properties like Cetaphil. Then apply a good hypoallergenic moisturizer over the area and see if this improves. If the symptoms still persist then you can apply mild steroid like dermacort and take anti allergic medicine like Benadryl.

If the irritation persists then get it evaluated from a dermatologist.
It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.
Avatar universal
I will try these things . I did have contact dermatitis in the past on my neck. It is a similar feeling . I will update you on how it works.
Have an Answer?
Top Dermatology Answerers
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn to identify and prevent bites from summer’s most common pests.
Doctors argue for legislation to curb this dangerous teen trend in the latest Missouri Medicine report.
10 ways to keep your skin healthy all winter long
How to get rid of lumpy fat on your arms, hips, thighs and bottom
Diet “do’s” and “don’ts” for healthy, radiant skin.
Images of rashes caused by common skin conditions