Non-consistant itching on palms of hands and feet under skin
For a few days now I have been experiencing itching on my plams of hands and feet but it's not a consent thing.  I thought maybe it could have been an allergic reaction to tomatoes or some other food.  I have been taking some natural detox for the blood in pills form, I was feeling ok but last nite and this morning my hands started up again but not terrible that i want to rip them off, it's more of a burning irritating itch that is under the skin, no rash no dry skin and it tends to be activated when I do things like opening a soda bottle top or holding the retractable lead for the dogs...I guess if there is a certain kind of pressure and rubing againist the hands they start to bother me and usually cold water or ice, anything cold makes it feel better.  I had experienced a migraine a few days ago but I get those normally so I dont know if that has something to do with it.  Any ideas on what would cause this kind of itching on the palms of the hands and feet under the skin??  I really hope it's not something were I need to go see a doctor, no insurance and no job = no money :(
I have the dishidrotic eczema and the mysterious painful, red, hot, swollen, itching with NO bubbles also (hands and feet). I have found scalding hot tap water is more effective for halting the itch-ice cold water or icepacks seem to cause more pain? Anyway, I recently figured out two things-slathering the hands with noxema instantly soothed the itch and the pain and cotton gloves from the pharmacy for use over ointment or noxema feel wonderful. Even when symptoms are mild or I am working and unable to apply creams, etc. the gloves are snug and somehow quiet those nerve ending and provide almost instant improvement of symptoms. I have given up trying to find the cause. I am glad to hear about other peoples triggers as mine are the same so now I know I'm not crazy. All my life I've had hyper-inflammatory response in every area of my body inside and out. I figure the immune system is just too easily triggered and its response is too extreme?
Please try PSORIASIS ointment. It's sold at Walgreens and is stronger than any cortisone cream available.  It does require daily use (2-3) times but can help tremendously.  God Bless.
I just came across this thread now as I'm going through same thing.  I'm wondering if you ever figured it out? I have doc. appt. in a couple of days.  I'm thinking with me it's from pinched nerves in my back that I've had for a very long time.  Hope all is well with you now!
This is the worst itching feeling that I have ever had. my hands and feet itched on my palms, arch, heel and between my fingers and toes. I tried some anti-itch cream and it didn't work. I would grab my keys and start digging in where it itched to the point where it hurt and swelled up. I would also go outside and rub my feet on the concrete. this went on for almost 3 weeks. I thought that I may have diabetes but my diet doesn't contribute to it. I had some cream laying around called Elocon from many years ago that was prescribed to me from a bad reaction from some metal material....I work as a machinist. anyway, I tried it and it worked. It has been a day and a half now and I don't feel anymore intense itching. Its a prescription cream that I think is used for reactions....maybe allergic reactions.
I took my dog walking in the park acouple days ago, and after I started having really bad itching on my balms so I started using Calamine Lotion which I thought was because I got Poison Ivy on my hands or something, but I don't have any bumps or anything on my hands so I don't know what it is?  It's keeping me up at night and I'm using a rough hair brush to itch my hands.  It helps alittle then comes back after acouple minutes.
No I had chicken pox though...it comes on with me with the opening pressure and stress as well....the itchyness turns into pain undearable...omw to the ER
I too have the unbearable itching to the palms of my hands and bottoms of my feet. It feels like the itching is under the skin and only rubbing my feet/hands on something hard gives a little relief. It's been going on for the last couple of days. As I lay down to rest the itching is all over my body, but nothing compares to the severe itching on the bottom of my feet. I'm not allergic to anything that I'm aware of, haven't started any new meds, lotions, soaps, foods, etc. My husband is diabetic so I just tested my sugar on his machine and my sugar is fine so that's not it. I haven't been pregnant in 30 years. I also have no rashes or conditions that I can see. This *****.
Do some ayurvedic treatments. nothing serious. Im experiencing on and off for more than ten years now.
Hey folks I have been using a prescription anti fungal cream called Nystatin 3X daily on the palms of my hands for the last 3-4 days and this has worked very well so far to relieve the itching.  Apparently I have ringworm and this has been causing the itching.  What I have learned: Ringworm is very common and causes athletes foot among other things.  There are over the counter anti fungals and some home remedies too.
I have been researching and talking to my niece who is a nurse. Its driving me crazy as well. Might be a liver or gall bladder issue. I hope not!
ive always heard that too but havent got any yet and my palms of hands r about to itch me to death but theres no rash or other symptoms about this other than i also exp sweating alot at different times..no new drugs no new cosmetics or clothes or wash or saop none new..i dont know what this could be but bout to drive ne crazy at times..lol
any one have any ideas what may be going on with these symptoms also i have where i cant remember things like i use too and that gets scary occasionally..any insight would be appreciated thanks alot..kim
So many comments on this irritating itching! :)  It seems that everyone is getting different responses from different doctors, etc.  When I was pregnant I would get this in my palms and my feet due to 'circulation'...then it was due to 'extra toxins in my body that the placenta wasn't getting rid of'...THEN it was due to 'dry skin' (THAT one I knew it wasn't because of).  I even heard this one (from my mother)...it's due to 'parasites all grouping together in one area under your skin'....hmmmmm...ICK!  lol....anyway, it's really hard to get rid of this itching as it comes and it goes.  I read some of the postings about how you use everything and everything to itch it...bricks...side of a wall...corner...how many of you have taken a butter knife or a fork!!!!  It's so true!  And then...you are left with an open sore that will scab over---BUT, the itch seemed to go away as if as soon as oxygen hit it, it vanished!  This is what happens with me however...but not so appealing to have scabs on your hands...ha!  Even though the itching is coming from the inside...I have used the super menthol lotions that seem to cool the spots down a bit---OH...and I'm NOT pregnant either...I thought the itching only hit me when I was pregnant!  Anyone aware of MEN getting this itching?  Thinking maybe it's just the female hormones!!  Good luck to you all :)
Years ago,  I used to get areas on my hands that would get red, itchy, swollen and have raised very small clear blister like bumps. I've always put hydrocortizone cream or something like that on it. They would go away in a day or so.
In the past year, I have had this again about three times. I have connected it to very stressful issues in my life. I have always lived a hectic lifestyle but situations outside my control have made this year tough. Well the spots on hands popped up again. I had almost forgotten that I got them.
I believe this is some type of virus, similar to cold sores that are brought on by stress.
Hello Swemerica,

Your comment hits home as I have liver toxicity and taking natural supplements to detox. Today is the first day I feel the feet and hand itchiness and was wondering if you ever found the real cause of that itchiness.

Thank you in advance for your reply
I agree about the liver and there is a post much further up which mentions liver.  My itching feet started a few days after I began taking a pill for detoxing, called Artichoke Leaf Extract as someone suggested a painful back might be a liver problem.  The pill promotes bile.  I stopped taking the pills and the worst itching went.  The itching is much less but still there occasionally, although not at night.   I'm going to try a bland diet for 2 weeks as I could be (must be!) overloaded with either or all of dairy, (I don't eat wheat)  alcohol, general gunk.  I eat plenty of salads and hardly any processed foods but I have milky coffee, sugar, booze not excessively but continuously.  It could be a combination.  The Raw Food diet seems to cure a lot but such a mission to make when we are all so busy. Good luck everyone - if we keep pooling our results we must make some headway.
Can I ask what the acne medication was that you were on?  I've been experiencing this for a few months, and I did recently start a new acne medication.  I don't remember if the itching started when I began taking the new medication, but it could be.  
I just started experiencing the intense itching pretty much everywhere but mostly the palms of my hands and heels of my feet. Intense burning sensations also I figured because of the crazy scratching. Yes its most sever at night when I'm laying down and trying to fall asleep.
I had full open surgery like 12 days ago now. Gull bladder removal. It was slightly enlarged and hard. Pretty sick. So I'm going to assume it may have to do with my liver. My urine has been really dark the past few days also. I took a blood test day before yesterday. I haven't personally gotten any results yet. Curious why my liver would be acting up now and not the day of the surgery.
Hi there- I have been having the burning, itchy feet and hands that crops up @ bed time on and off for the last 12 yrs. I have noticed that when I clean up my diet- go all organic, cut out all processed foods, and cut all sugars, and lower my carb intake, I have no problems-  I am borderline diabetic, so, in addition to eliminating chemicals, and eating whole foods, I am sure my diabetes is more under control- so, I don't know if the problem comes from the high blood sugars, or a crapped out liver from the bad foods, but, I do know I can clear it up w/ a clean diet- good luck
I used to have this same problem. One solution I found successful was to use moisturizer or lotion on my hands. Another solution is to run your hand under very hot water. Hope this helps!
I'm not sure if you still have this problem... but if it is a recurring thing it may be granuloma annulare. I get the same (symmetrical) problem on my elbows and sometimes fingers. The doctor prescribed cortesone tape (name is cordran tape) which keeps the bumps hydrated as well as keeping the cortesone from rubbing off. My dermatologist diagnosed it several years ago and his solution really helps.

I hope you've found the answer, but if not, maybe this will help
The same as me. I have a bump under the skin on the side of my right heel. It doesn't bother me unless I mess with it. Any advice on what this is? I don't know how long I've had it. Doesn't bother me when I walk.
The same as me. I have a bump under the skin on the side of my right heel. It doesn't bother me unless I mess with it.
Always urinated after making love and wash up. Dr. told me this years ago.
I too have seen the clear bumps.  Strange thing is , I found them on the sides out my pinkies... The sides of my fingers itch so bad... I had a grapefruit last nite & after I ate it, the itching on my hands are so bad. I cannot believe Im even able to type... i cannot sleep... This is driving m batty. I have had Excema  since birth & it went away for the longest time.  I started a swim class for therapy which, I ADORE but... the water is too over chlorinated . Its not like they ill ease up just for me.  well, since the 4th of July, I have had this itch on my right hand  I itched a spot sooooo bad, I have a scar & its a puffy one.  So, went to Dr & Dermatologist 2 times already.  I was given steroids .  I stopped taking them, the hot flashes were kililng me.  I have 2 creams from them. I put it on, NOTHING.  I have to use mind over matter... Just so i wont tear my skin off which, is what I would LOVE to do... LOL.  Im just so sleep deprived.. I cannot take it.  Thanks everyone for sharing this & I guess, its good to not be alone.. :(
I know it has been years since this was posted, but there is a condition called cholestasis of pregnancy that causes an elevation of bile salts in the bloodstream and subsequent intense itching of the soles and palms, especially at night.  Unfortunately, many times, this causes a fetus to die in utero suddenly.  Perhaps this is what caused your miscarriage?

I hope that things have worked out for you since you posted.  
I I have been dealing with uncontrollable itching in my palms and feet for 14 months now!  I have been to the doctor EVERY month.  I have been to the dermatologist 5 times in those 14 months and have also seen a neurologist.  NO ONE can seem to help me.  They keep saying it is a form of dermatitis, but every medicine they have put me on makes everything worse.  Then to top it all off, I began having severe acne (which I have NEVER had) and part of me thinks it is from all of the millions of creams and medications the doctors have filled me with.  I don't know who else to turn too!  I sleep with Vaseline coated on my hands and wear 100% cotton gloves to try and moisten/soften my hands and reduce the dry, itchy skin.  It works during the night, but it hasn't helped beyond that.  As for my feet, I have to wear flip flops or open air crocks at all times without any socks.  I can't walk on my carpet.  I sleep in Vaseline on my feet with cotton socks.    If I can't turn to a doctor to help, then I don't know what to do!!!
I am the same one that tried the Zyrtec and it did work for a little while... but, after a month, it didn't seem to work.  I need to give it a try again.  I also am going to try the Noxema.  I saw someone else posted that it helps.  I will try anything.  
I am in my mid 60s and this started suddenly a few months ago, crazy itching inside my hands and drove me nuts, it would subside in a day or two but in the meantime I would do more damage by trying to itch them. I take Allegra in the late winter and early spring for allergies that I seem to have developed since moving from upstate NY to central FL, usually taking the 24hr regular or generic without the decongestant for a couple of months and no problems the rest of the year. So I tried taking one for the itching hands and it went away in 30mins and stayed gone, it seems to occur once every couple of weeks, My family Dr said I was allergic to something and these can develop with things that did not bother in the past. I was tested for allergies and they found nothing new. Just going to take an occasional, as needed, Allegra 24 when needed. Ron C Palm Coast
Yes!  I just have to post a comment here, as I scratch.  I've had the condition for a few years now - it comes and goes.  I usually notice it in the Fall when the weather turns colder, although have also had it in the heat of summer.  Seemed bizarre, but I finally figured out it had something to do with temperature changes on the skin.  So I googled and researched online (after no doctor could give me an answer) and self-diagnosed myself with "cold urticaria".  As far as I know, there is no explanation as to why some people get it, but it is to do with sensitivity to temperature change.  So ... I have to keep warm when I get out of bed on a cold morning (socks, etc.), have to wear boots when I go out (so legs don't get cool).  This only works if I get the boots/gloves, etc. on before the body gets chilled in any way - so can be tricky.  If it's a hot day, I have to watch I don't go into sudden air conditioning (i.e. in the car).  Explains why sometimes the condition comes after showering, as well.  Only thing I've found that works is having Benadryl on hand (the kind for itching hives).  Best wishes to all you scratchers ... and try to control your skin temperatures and see if that helps!
I  used to have itchy feet, so bad that I cried, I couldn't sleep. I heard someone speaking of vitamin e taken would end it.. so I began to take it and in weeks it went away.. it has started again and I am going back onto vitamin e again..
Many years ago, I  began to have itchy feet,so bad that I cried,and could not sleep. I heard someone speaking of vitamin e, if taken would end it.. so I began to take it and in less than 2  weeks it went away.. it have started itching again , this time its my hands and I am going right back to taking vitamin e. picking up some tomorrow.
I have Similar problems:   Try Milk Thistle for all over itching.  It really works.  It helps if it is liver enzyme related.  But be sure to get decent Milk Thistle from a nutrition store, example:  Country Life Milk Thistle 200mg.      Also, for feet and hands, soak them in Domeboro - it has worked for me in the past.  Also, consider using Desenex Powder or something that treats Athlete's Foot.  Even if dermatologist does not find it on your feet or hands, try it.  It worked for me.   Antihistamines do not work for me.   One time - I actually sprayed lysol on my foot and that worked (I know not the best solution).   I cannot eat tomatoes at all.   Also, I use a moisturizing Body wash which helps cut down on the dry skin after showering.
Thank you for a medical Dx. I suspect something like cholestasis (or increased liver enzymes). I took a pro-hormone for body building ("HAVOC" epistane) that likely taxed my liver.
I don't know what is happening under my skin. It irritates especially after bath when I was cleaning with towel. Not only after bath but also while sleeping. Every time it happens. Is my blood not pure?? It is happening to me after 2 years. Previously, same thing happened. After using medicine, rest for 6 months. Again itching started. Wat to do?? Plz help me. I could not bare..
Scabbies would make you itch everywhere - hot water would make it worse.
Could be your liver. Have you had your ALT, CBC, and AST done?
You are spot on Kansas City CG.  I ended up in the emergency ward last year for this condition.  My feet and hands were so swollen, cracked, oozing and nothing was helping.  I am 50 with type 2 diabetes.  I would suddenly get exactly what you described out of the blue.  It is very annoying and at times I want to just rip my hands and feet off.  I too was proscribed clobetasol.  It is the absolute only thing that has help and I have gone to many many dermatologists over the years. When the itching is unbearable, I have a frozen soft pouch that i put my feet on for a few minutes.  Cold seems to take the itch away for a little bit.  I use my amopea foot thingy and then put the clobetasol on the affected areas.  I then generously apply equate advanced healing ointment all over my feet and put them in plastic baggies with socks.  If I do this every night, I can basically keep it at bay.  The first time I do not attended to it when it first starts, I am in trouble.  If it is my hands, I use the clobetasol and ointment and put gloves on my hands overnight.
In the hospital the dermatologist also prescribed an old time medicine, Hydroxyzine, that calmed all the nerve endings down to give other treatment a chance to work. It really knocks me for a loop though as far as I will be asleep in 30 minutes after taking.  Hope this helps others find their solution.
I too have this problem.  I get a horrible itch on my left palm. This started after a few weeks of suffering from sweaty palms. The itching comes and goes but it is so bad it's actually woken me up.  I have not seen anyone else post about sweaty hands.
I am a 71 year old male. I just finished an episode of both of my palms itching like crazy. I used  soft hair brush for some relief. Shortly thereafter all my toes and the area behind the toes started the same itching. I found some relief by taking off my socks and rubbing my itching feet on the carpet. I have seen a dermatologist about this and was prescribed Clobetasol .05% cream. It doesn't work other than psychologically it is something to do. Some triggers are garden soil on my hands, rubber garden gloves and sweaty feet in wet socks. I am on a daily antihistamine already. I will try another doctor to see if there are any known causes and treatments. Like others who have posted, it drives me crazy when an itching onslaught occurs.
I have had this problem for a few months and I went to every doctor imaginable nobody could tell me anything but there was a common denominator with every doctor/specialist I saw they all said I was dehydrated yes when ur dehydrated ur body gives off a histamine response drank 60 oz of water everyday cleared it up immediately within a week
Dear all, I was browsing this problem coz I have been having it on n off again - I was sad that so many of you need a solution and guess what I understood I have to share the solution that worked for me---these itching are only due to lack of water! That's all! When I was a teenager, I was heavily into hours of sports and used to dehydrate fast and it would start itching and burning my palms and soles and even skin boils would start all over my body leaving me drained energy-wise. Since many years it had stopped since I stopped that high level of sport. Antihistamines always help, and vit b also does as they hastened the water absorption rate in the body. Last month, I travelled and was dehydrated a hell lot! Since then it started again! I was drinking maybe 1 l per day which was obviously not enough. N even if I drank more, I was only peeing a lot! Obviously, as I wasn't absorbing the water! Electrolytes were down and so was sodium and vit B in the body was also super low! Now I am home and resting and going back into routine...my water absorption rate is slowing getting rebalanced as I am eating properly. So my 2-3 litres per day is helping. I also used to have acute skin rash/boils all over my body the moment I was sweating! Now it has all stopped ever since my water drinking has increased! Please observe your own drinking habits and if you find that retention is not happening. Avoid diuretic drinks [I was having too much of green tea too]  I recommend taking a pinch of salt and then drink 2 glasses of water. It will activate the retention and slowly and slowly drinking the 2-2.5 litres per day will help you! Use it for a few days, until you drink normally... It worked for me and I hated the irritation I used to get! So, sharing my tip... Hope it helps you people too...
I'm 36, only my feet itch, the bottoms, sometimes in-between the toes, mainly the bottom, vitamins made it worse, fish oil made it worse, stress/anxiety triggers my itching, thought i was getting fired the other day and had to take my shoe off at my desk, got ready for sex with my wife, in mid stroke, kept stroking but noticed my feet was on fire with itching...I've used two types of prescribed cream, and athletic foot powders and sprays...no luck! i'm still searching for relief but has made note of all of the above.
I have been getting severe itching of hands and feet and I suffer from major anxiety and was wondering if that could be part is the reason. But I also have had semI high blood pressure that's untreated for the last 3 -4 years and not sure if that could be it. .. im glad to see that it may be aniexty causing it thou.
As I was at the sink this morning I had a sudden itching at the back of my head, bad enough I used my hair brush to soothe it.  A few minutes later as I was preparing breakfast my palms started itching, and the back of my hands as well, though not as much.  Figured maybe I was having an allergic reaction to a bug bite, although I've never experienced anything like this before.  I rubbed my hands on a towel for 10 minutes and it seemed to ease up.  Got in the shower, and within a few minutes of getting out the feet started itching!  OMG that was the worst!!  Finally took an allergy pill and that helped a bit, but feet are still moderate itchy almost three hours later.  I'll try some intensive hydrating since I'm home all day and see if that helps.
I have been going through this for 10 years now. It starts with itchy scalp-(crown itch), followed by my palms and feet. I take an allergy pill daily which helps and i get a cheaper version from costco called Aller-tec. Its a 1 year supply for only $15. When i forget to take the allergy pill for a day or two, the itching comes back with a vengeance especially after a shower when i am towelling. We need a cure for this.
I've also been experiencing these same issues. Stayed with just my scalp itching for the first couple of days, which I thought was just dry scalp/skin due to the dry winter were having but then the tips of my fingers, palms and bottoms of my feet starting itching terribly and accompanied with a slight burning sensation at times mostly on the tips of my fingers and palms.  Its almost and uncontrollable and unberable itch at times. It's now been going on for 5 days and I am also in search of an answer to what it could be. First thought was this has to be an allergic reaction but then I read it could be symptoms of liver problems/cirrhosis, diabetes, hypothyroidism(which I have)and have experienced very mild itchiness and dry skin at times, but nothing like this. Im just stumped add to what could be causing it. Any comments on anyone figuring out what it could be would be appreciated.
Hi Everyone,

This itching just started a few days ago. I have tried so many things that have been mentions. Nothing seems to help. It's like needles an pins all over my body, one portion at a time. My hands and feet are the worst. I'm going to take an nondrowsy allergy pill in a few minutes...hope it helps. I itch so bad it makes me cry, it's like being tortured all day long. I did get my Medical Marijuana card and used it the last three night and I didn't have any itching. I got the kind to help me sleep and it works well. But can't use it during the day.
Does anyone have the itching all over your body?
I'm getting blood text in a few days, reg. test with kidney and Thyroid. I had Thyroid problems before.
I will keep you posted. Good luck everyone...blessing
Hi! I doubt ill find you now..but i was wondering if you ever figured out why your hand were itching do bad?
I took the benedryl and my itching has stopped ;)
Now I have to find out what I'm allergic to.
I have been battling a skin irritation on my hands since the beginning of May.  Symptoms sound the same as what you suffer from.  I have seen so may doctors and have tried many creams and ointments and I feel they make things worse or "change" things.  I just want my hands back, some say that stress brings it on but THIS is stressing me out.
I had this years ago, but it was also accompanied by hives. It was thought to be due to a b12 deficiency.
I dont have an answer but having the same problem for 5 days now.  I;m scared.  Did you ever find out what it was? ***@**** please email me!
I have the same problems. Just out of nowhere. My palms finger tips tips of feet sporadic itching on head neck but mostly hands and tops of feet . Between fingers. I've read all these posts but no real answers. A friend went they all types of tests and went to Stanford no help. Tried all the removing of meds one at a time and actually no answers itch still remains. Odd begins at middle of day and continues thru the night. I fall asleep but awake then begin itching. Keeps me awake for hours. It comes on hard and when thing rub against hands or any pressure it brings on the itch. Does anyone including a doctor with any advice. It would be greatly appreciated. I don't want to continue taking Sudafed. Obvious not good on long time use. Please help!!!
I also took benedryl and it stopped the itching  for that evening but it's back again and I've exhausted all the allergy possibilities