Aa
A
A
A
Close
Dermatology Community
53.6k Members

Odd darker areas on my skin (bum & shoulders)...?

Oh my! It's been possibly a few years since I have noticed this little problem on my rump. I wasn't body conscious up until now in my teenage years and now that I am all grown up and just moved into my own apartment, I am completely embarrassed by these two darker circle-like areas on the bottom of my bum that are still existing. They almost look like bruises, but they surely are not. I have tried washing regularly, exfoliating... I even tried using my facial toner on them to see if they would go away! I've googled for answers, but everything I have found always seems to be a little more serious and problematic than whatever it is I have. So to save myself from an embarrassing trip to the dermatologist office, I have decided to try posting here. Will someone please take the time to hopefully identify my issue and give me some helpful advice as to what I should do? I have also taken a photo to help someone answer my question.

Thank you and I fully appreciate it!
- Mar
3 Responses
Oh, sorry I included 'shoulders' in the title. I heard the word on the TV and accidentally typed it too.. hah, one of my bad habits.
563773 tn?1374250139
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
Hello,
Without examination,confirmation of a diagnosis is tough,but it can be due to hyperpigmentation of the skin. This darkening occurs when an excess of melanin, the brown pigment that produces normal skin color, forms deposits in the skin.

Treatment involves hydroquinone, azelaic acid, corticosteroids, tretinoin cream and laser treatment. Pls discuss these options with your dermatologist before using them.

Hope it helps.Take care and pls do keep me posted on how you are doing or if you have any additional queries.Warm regards.
Thank you.
I went to my doctor today and she thinks it is just irritation from sitting because I'm really skinny. She prescribed me to hydrocortisone, hopefully this will make it go away!
Have an Answer?
Top Dermatology Answerers
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn to identify and prevent bites from summer’s most common pests.
Doctors argue for legislation to curb this dangerous teen trend in the latest Missouri Medicine report.
10 ways to keep your skin healthy all winter long
How to get rid of lumpy fat on your arms, hips, thighs and bottom
Diet “do’s” and “don’ts” for healthy, radiant skin.
Images of rashes caused by common skin conditions