Dermatology Community
53.6k Members
Avatar universal

Painful spot on upper thigh

I am approximately 38 weeks pregnant right now.  A few weeks ago, I had to go to the hospital, and they noticed a small bump located on my upper right thigh.  They tested me for MRSA, and the results were negative.  For the past two days, I have started getting alot of pain in this area, and the bump is now massive and purple.  Very sensitive to the touch.  I had called the hospital, and they said it could be a boil or a cyst.  I would just really like the pain to go away and know if I need to go get this checked out.  Also wondering if there's any other possibilities for what this infection could be.  Thanks.
2 Responses
363110 tn?1340924019
If it's a boil or a cyst you need to get it to come to a head, like a pimple. Apply warm (as warm as you can handle) wet washclothes to the area repeatedly until it comes to a white head. this may take a few days, Then go in to your doctor to have it lanced which will release any pus inside it and allow it to heal.

Being 38w pregnant, if this is still there when you give birth if you give birth naturally you need to talk to your doctor about getting a shot of antibiotics before the baby is born to help prevent baby from getting any infection problems.
563773 tn?1374250139
It could be a boil or an abscess. A boil generally starts as a reddened, tender area. Over time, the area becomes firm and hard. Eventually, the center of the abscess softens and becomes filled with pus. Finally, the pus "forms a head," which can be surgically opened or spontaneously drain out through the surface of the skin.

Apply warm compresses on the boil and keep the area clean. Drainage of the boil is done only when it becomes soft and forms a head. Take some over the counter pain reliever and put some antibiotic cream like Neosporin. If the symptoms persist then you may need oral antibiotics prescription.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

Have an Answer?
Top Dermatology Answerers
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn to identify and prevent bites from summer’s most common pests.
Doctors argue for legislation to curb this dangerous teen trend in the latest Missouri Medicine report.
10 ways to keep your skin healthy all winter long
How to get rid of lumpy fat on your arms, hips, thighs and bottom
Diet “do’s” and “don’ts” for healthy, radiant skin.
Images of rashes caused by common skin conditions