Aa
A
A
A
Close
Dermatology Community
53.5k Members

Painful underarm bump

I used an epilatory cream on my under arm region about 3 months ago and since then Ive been plagued with painful red bumps under my arm every couple weeks, They last anywhere from a couple days to about a week. I am very afraid that it's something bad. Im getting breast implants in 2 months and I have planned a long time for it and I dont want anything to come in the way of that. Once I had used a warm salt water compress and I was able to get puss out of it but I havent done that since and these today are too painful to squeeze. Please can someone give me some advice. Thankyou
1 Responses
Hi

It is possible that you have had some allergic reaction due to the epilatory cream. In order to avoid this situation, it is always instructed before using any such cosmetic skin products, to undergo the skin sensitivity tests. There are also other possibilities for the underarm rash including dermatitis (atopic, contact, and allergic), heat rash, excessive sweating, folliculitis or psoriasis.
You should wash the area with hypoallergic antibacterial soap followed by rinsing thoroughly, apply moisturizer, wear  loose fitting clothes and avoid deodorant / cosmetics for a couple of days. Sometimes over-the-counter hydrocortisone cream provides some relief. If still the bumps are persistent, I suggest that you consult a dermatologist who can determine the cause and prescribe appropriate treatment for it.

Take care

Have an Answer?
Top Dermatology Answerers
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn to identify and prevent bites from summer’s most common pests.
Doctors argue for legislation to curb this dangerous teen trend in the latest Missouri Medicine report.
10 ways to keep your skin healthy all winter long
How to get rid of lumpy fat on your arms, hips, thighs and bottom
Diet “do’s” and “don’ts” for healthy, radiant skin.
Images of rashes caused by common skin conditions