Painfully itchy legs after shaving

I need help! About 12-24 hours after shaving (never right away), I develop and overpowering itch on the shaved areas (legs, armpits too, although the legs tend to itch the worst). This itch is so bad that I have woken up in the night reflexively scratching my legs until they bleed.

I've tried all the suggestions the internet has to offer. I've tried:
- nearly every shave lotion the market has to offer, including organic ones and regular body wash.
- nearly every razor the market has to offer; I use replaceable-head razors (Venus Divine) and I replace the head frequently.
- tried lotioning my legs after, and before  after showering with both Aveeno and St. Ives Intensive Healing
- tried using baby oil after, and before & after
- tried using tea tree oil and various other organic itch-calming treatments

None of these have worked

Once the itch starts, there is very little that will end it. I've tried:
- Regular and intensive lotions
- Eucerin anti-itch calming lotion
- Aloe Vera sunburn treatment (I thought the aloe or lidocaine in it might stop the itch)
- Benedryl (just in case it was an allergy to something in my shaving creams)
- OTC Hydrocortisone cream

Nothing works to stop the itch after it has begun. Pretty much all I can do is scratch and hope the itch ends before I scratch down to blood. It is agonizing and keeps me up at night. The same itch happens with Nair as well, but not hair-buffing although I could never get that to work to remove hair very well.

My doctor has no idea and just keeps saying "try a different shaving cream". He's not a very good doctor but I don't have a lot of insurance in-network options there. Has anyone heard of this? Do I have no option but to stop shaving?
This itching after shaving can be due to contact dermatitis to the material used in shaving or due to infection of the hair follicles.Take Benadryl or Claritin and apply calamine lotion or a mild steroid cream after shaving and if the symptoms persist then you can opt for waxing or laser hair removal.A consultation of a cosmetologist will be the best in that case.
Hope it helps.Take care and pls do keep me posted on how you are doing or if you have any additional doubts.Kind regards.
Forget that doctor, Kaur.  He obviously didn't read thoroughly enough to realize you said you've tried Benadryl and the lotions and such he recommended.

My wife has the same problem, and has had it ever since she first started shaving her legs when she was younger.  It drives her crazy.  It's all she can do to either wax and have a couple of weeks until the itching (which she has stopped because waxing *****), or just not shave at all.  Most people in these forums talk about how the itching is all women, but never connect that to the fact that it's shaving!  Most men don't shave their legs, so most don't have itch that comes from shaving!

Anyways, back to the point - She is suffering the same symptoms, has tried EVERYTHING.  The last doctor we went to basically said to just stop shaving and come back later (so we can pay even more for no answer?).  Right now she just shaves when she needs to, and she uses a pretty unspectacular electric razor because it doesn't shave very close, which means the hair doesn't have to grow back through the skin and itch.  Even then, she was just complaining about the itch coming back a few minutes ago, thus the reason I'm on here.

It appears to be something with the hairs growing back in.  Some possibilities are that the hair is poking the skin in the wrong way as it grows in (she even ends up with some in-grown hairs, but they aren't the ones that itch!), or my guess is it's something to do with circulation OR possibly the pores being too small.  If the hairs are growing in and are too large, even a slight bit, for the follicles, it could possibly cause itching.  Doesn't seem likely, but then again what does seem likely to cause so much itch and trouble?

I really do hope to help her find out what the problem is, and I hope you have luck as well.  If you KNOW, like we do, that the itch is caused by the hairs growing back in (which is why it's a day or so after shaving), then SAY that to the doctor when you go, and be very persistent.  Doctors aren't any smarter than other people.  Just like everyone else, they only know what they learn, and most of what they have learned is just lists of symptoms, what they can mean, and how to go about BSing treatments (sounds rough, but it's true.  No clue how many times people go in to get a rash treated and get a prescription without any sort of check to see what the cause of the rash is.  Or the prescription of anti-biotics which is stupid except in severe immune attacking sicknesses really).  

Be persistent and let the doctor know what is triggering it, then they might be able to take a better look when you are actually itching.  Go in a day after shaving, and if you have a trigger, use it when you go in to make sure they can look at it while it's happening.  For example, my wife's itching can be triggered by being cold.  If she's shaved in the past few days, she gets goosebumps really easily, and it makes her feel cold, and makes the itching a lot worse.

Try shaving one leg and not the other, then you have a comparison.  If the shaved leg itches and the other doesn't, there's more proof on your side.  Plus, when you go in to a doctor again, you can have them compare the two legs or something.

Sorry I can't offer a "solution" since I have not found one myself, but I do sympathize with you greatly.  Please do comment back or email ***@**** if you happen to find any answers.
I had exactly the same problem you had for years.  I would shave my legs and within 12-24 hours, my legs would start itching horribly.  Most of the time this happened during the evening hours when I was in bed.  A couple of years ago I started investigating my allergies and realized that I was allergic to dozens of things, one of them being dust mites.  My allergist suggested that I encase my mattress and pillows to help decrease my exposure to dust mites.  I followed his advice and, almost instantly, my legs stopped itching after shaving!  The only conclusion I can draw is that the dust mites were irritating my freshly shaved legs.

Even if you aren't allergic to dust mites, I would strongly encourage encasing your mattress and pillows.  I purchased my microfiber encasings online from Mission Allergy, but you can find them other places as well.  I'd love to hear if anyone else has success with this.
I have the same exact problem, and the two comments above are exactly right. My dermatologist is out of Emory Medical in Atlanta, and is amazing.

He said that your hair is growing back, and it itches to help the hair pierce the skin better, and remove dead skin from on top of the new hair growth. When you scratch, you naturally remove the dead skin on top of the new hair growth.

He suggested encasing my bed as well, and it really did help.

Finally, he suggest shaving downwards (from knee to ankle) instead of upwards. This really did help.

After shaving, it may help to ex foliate your skin each day, twice a day, to help keep dead skin from blocking new hair from growing.

This is no different than when you have a sunburn and you itch to help remove the dead skin.

Good luck, and please let me know how it works!!
***@****
I also forgot to mention, salt baths help. You can go to your local grocery store and buy sea salt, and sprinkle it into your bath water. This helps heal any wound, itch, acne, bump, etc that you have on your skin.

Definitely try the exfoliating though, because that did WONDERS for me.
I have the same issue with my legs and my doctor said the same things.  She had no idea what she was talking about!  This only started about 5 years ago for me and at first I thought it was the water since we had just moved.  But since then we have moved to several other places and I still have the same issue.  Don't listen to Dr. Kaur, he obviously didn't listen to a word you said.  The only relief I get when it starts itching is to get a hand towel (because they are bigger than washcloths) and drench it in cold water and wrap them around my legs.  This subsides the itching enough to where I can better attempt at ignoring the itch long enough to stop scratching.  

Reading the other posts though, I am going to have to try the mattress and pillow covers, because now that I think about it, the majority of the time the itching starts in bed.  But there are times when I am not in bed that it starts, too.  I hope you find something to relieve your itching...I definitely feel your pain!
I have the exact same problem and had the exact same kind of dumb response from my Dr.  It's been going on for years and I could have written all these responses.  24-30 hours after shaving...itchy. Waking up at night drawing blood...ingrown hairs that I can see but those do not itch.  Thanks for the allergy tip, I'll look into anything.  I shave my legs only when I have to and thank goodness I live in a Northern state.  Stays colder longer, a perfect excuse to wear pants!
I too have had "the itch" for years.  I am 72 years old, my mother had this,and two of my sisters had it.  I find that it is worse after any stimulation to my skin.  Rubbing with a towel, waves in the ocean, showers, pulling clothes on or off, caressing, etc.  I have tried everything, and have been told by Drs that it is dry weather, I live in Hawaii.  Most people look at me as if I were crazy, and frankly it makes me crazy at times.  I would love a Dr to take it seriously and help or at least study it to help so many of us.
npbcmj
My wife is going through the same thing and I am researching hard to try and find her answer. I wish you all the best. This seems to be a terrible thing for many women. I have compiled a list of advice from many sources in my research -- I'll try and come back and post my list after getting it on my computer. I wish you all the best -- and a good answer to this problem.

Kirk
Hey Everyone,

I have compiled a short list of things you might try in order to find a little relief. It's obvious that there is no one answer to this problem, but I want to believe that some of these things could help you -- even if only a little. My hope is that something in my list will help you a LOT!

So, here's my list, which I will be giving to my wife when she comes home: (some ideas are from here and some from other places). Note: I only included an item in my list of I read that it had really helped someone -- and not just because it was somebody's idea.

1. Test multiple razors, gels, lotions – even single blade razors

2. Change your razor often  (suggestions ranged from after 2-5 uses to after every shave if it helps)

3. Press lightly when Shaving

4. Try shaving in the opposite direction from your current method

5. Don’t shave with soap as your “shaving cream”

6. Try Skintimate shave lotion

7. Try Bikini Zone Anti-Itch Shave Cream

8. Visit Bath and Body for a possible solution

9. Use different tools and methods (direction, razor, lotion) on each leg and track results until you a find combination that brings relief

10. Exfoliate your legs after shaving – maybe even twice a day.

11. Use unscented and non-perfumed lotions with calamine or E45 or aloe

12. Apply lotion in the same direction as hair growth

13.   Encase your mattress and pillows to help decrease exposure to dust mites

Thanks to everyone who took the time to post on this thread. Some of your ideas were absolutely fantastic. After my sweet wife has a chance to try some of these ideas, I will come back and post if we find a solution to her nagging itching legs!

Best to all of you!
Hi, my suggestion, get rid of all shavers and shaving lotions and get yourself an Epilator.  It is the best thing on the market for removing hair, no irritation, no shaving lotions.  Releive the itching with alcohol. O.K.?
This made my problem worse
So, I have the same problem and I use Oxy10 acne wash on my legs to shave, and it has solved the problem. It takes about a week or two to kick in. I'm guessing the itching is bacteria related. Also, my doctor put me on Dr. Wilson's adrenal rebuilder supplements and after about 6 months of use the itchy legs disappeared completely. Just a suggestion:)