Dermatology Forum
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Avatar universal

Penish rash

This is the second time I have contacted you now as the problem still persists.I have had sore red blotchy skin on the head of my penis now for nine months.I do not have a std. The condition developed after I slept with a women though, and I had protected sex. It is red blotch and scaley and rough looking. This I could probably handle but it is the constant stinging and irritating I am getting from it, that is causing my problems. I abstained from from mastrubating and having sex for five months giving plenty of time for the skin to heal but it did not.And i do not believe i should not have sex etc but it just far to painful.
I have visited my doctor now a total of nine times and tried everything imaginable to ease the symptoms.
Based on your last reply I tried Hydrocortisone followed by a lubricant such as vaseline but this made the condition worse.
Also any type of moisturieser I have tried makes the condition worse even sensitive perfume free stuff.
Two months ago i had sex and the pain was bad, when i looked at the head of my penis the next day it was covered in red and purple spots the size of match heads. It took me 2 weeks before i could even touch my penis again. Is there anything you can suggest apart from hydrocortisone, vaseline, canestan etc because I have tried all these preperations to no avail I have even bath in salt baths.
I know I am not imagining the pain because when i look at my penis you can see the irritation redness it is blatant and what were those spots that showed up, Some of the looked like they were about to bleed.
Please help I have done nine months but I cannot do another nine months of this I need my life back.

hopefull of you response.................
11 Responses
242489 tn?1210497213
I'm afraid you have me stumped.  The only wo diagnoses which present themselves to my mind are a yeast infection and an allergy to latex in a condom.  You have in fact tretaed yeast before, but perhaps an oral medication like fluconazole might help.  As to latex, I don't know if you are using latex condoms.

I apologize for not being able to say more, but I literally don't know what else to say.  No doubt you are right that the pain is not imaginary, but I don't know many penile rashes of any sort which people describe as painful.  Yeast culture and treatment seems like the most promising option.  

Perhaps you should ask a different doctor to examine you.  Sometimes a fresh pair of eyes sees something different.

Good luck.

Dr. Rockoff
Avatar universal
I have had the same problem for 6 weeks now.  What the hell is this thing?  If you find out any other info please contact me @ ***@****

Avatar universal
My symptoms began after I started taking the following medications:  Effexor, Atenelol, and Trazadone.  Was wondering if you are taking any of these medications?
Avatar universal
Just curious, what city where you in when you slept with this girl?  I've had a rash like you described for 4 1/2 months now.  I had sex with a girl and she provided the condom.  Since I've never had a problem with a condom before I'm wondering if she could have placed some chemical on the condom to cause the problem.
Avatar universal
i have developed similar for second time. Got rid of it last time by keeping foreskin back all day and keeping it as dry as possible, even using talc. The spots went but at no time was there any discomfort.
i had sex two days ago fell asleep woke up watched the world cup final and showered later and noticed some spots which in 1 day developed. ###can only assume its not washing immediately after the post-ejaculation cuddle ....
Have applied canesten to hopefully increase their obliteration ...

Avatar universal
About six mounths ago i slept with this girl who
and about a week later I noticed some a little bump on
the side of my penis which felt like a little peice of fiberglass in the skin,
about two weeks later I noticed some redness in the tip of my penis. at which point I thought I had an std so I went and got tested for aids,claumitia,goneria,sypilis,herpes but
I didn't have any of the above.
(and other doctors treated me for a yeast infection which apparently it wasn't)
after that they decided i should see a uroligist,
and he tested my kidneys,blatter,and urinary track (which casted me a total of700 dollars) and he told me he didn't see ANYthing wrong with me,... Man I was fuckin pissed by then,
now aniety has started to kick in and sometimes  feel like i cant breath deepley...
This all suck so bad!!!!
Now I'm begining to wonder if maybee it's an allergic reaction to something...
I'll let u know what I find out.

Atleast you know your not alone
Avatar universal
one thing to bear in mind is if you receive oral sex you don't know what lurks in the womans mouth let alone her vagina. That is not to suggest a lack of hygiene but there is sure to be a nasty lurgy in mucus. This i know as a woman i work with developed an infection on her foot but the bug was found in mucus and she blamed someone sneezing on her feet when she was wearing sandals!

If these angry red spots are a yeast infection then anti-mushroom treatment, dry and lightness and fresh air is what is required.
Avatar universal
Balanitis and Foreskin Hygiene
Essential facts
Balanitis is an inflammation of the glans (head) of the penis. It usually causes redness and/or a blotchy rash on the glans, sometimes with a discharge. The condition may be itchy or uncomfortable but often feels completely normal.

Why balanitis occurs
Balanitis is not sexually transmitted. It results from an overgrowth of organisms which are normally present on the skin of the glans. The condition most commonly occurs in men who have a foreskin (i.e. have not been circumcised). The environment under the foreskin is warm and moist, and these conditions often favour the growth of the organisms that cause balanitis.

These organisms are especially likely to multiply and cause inflammation if moisture is allowed to persist under the foreskin for a while. This may occur if you have not washed for a couple of days, or sometimes after sexual activity (vaginal, oral or anal - with or without a condom).

One of the most common organisms associated with balanitis is a yeast known as Candida albicans. Candida can cause vaginal "thrush" in women; therefore balanitis in men is sometimes called thrush. However, candida is normally present in both men and women and a man will not automatically develop balanitis if he has intercourse with a woman with thrush. Balanitis occurs because of an overgrowth of candida, which is due to moisture and warmth under the foreskin.

Management of balanitis
Medication (e.g. cream or ointment) is rarely necessary, and is usually less effective than hygiene measures. The aim is to make it difficult for organisms to grow under the foreskin by keeping the glans and the foreskin clean and dry.

Once a day, ideally when you have a shower, slide your foreskin back towards your body until the glans is completely uncovered (Figures 1a and 1b). Do not use any force. If there is any resistance or discomfort, check with a doctor.  
Wash the end of your penis and foreskin thoroughly using warm water only. Alternatively, sorbolene and glycerine cream (available from chemists and supermarkets) may be used as a substitute for soap.
After washing, dry the end of the penis and foreskin thoroughly. If convenient, sit with the glans exposed to the air for 10 minutes. More thorough drying can be achieved by using a fan or hair dryer (Figure2).
After drying, replace the foreskin (Figure 3).  
When you urinate, slide the foreskin back so that urine does not wet the foreskin (Figure 4). After urination, dry the end of the penis and replace the foreskin.  

If you are prone to developing balanitis a few hours after sex, wash the penis as described above shortly after having sex. Make sure the glans is completely dry before replacing the foreskin.

These measures will lead to a rapid improvement in symptoms and will help prevent episodes of balanitis in future. If you experience repeated attacks of balanitis despite adequate foreskin hygiene, consult your doctor

Avatar universal
I have had similar symptoms for over a year now, recently got tested for chlamidya, gonneria, hiv and was negative, the Dr. said that it wasn't herpes because it is only a rash,no blisters...I have a rash the size of a dime on my penis head, with pin sized bumps, nowhere close to hair follicles, it burns and itches practically constantly...What medical action should I take first, herpes blood test, dermotologist visit, or try to not think about it????Thanks
Avatar universal
Hello - I have noticed white spots around the tip of the penis, surrounding the head of the penis. There are a lot of small white bumps ( less than 1mm in diameter) about 40 spots. You can't really squeeze them like pimples, they are very small, it does hurt if i want to squeeze one.They are Not under the skin .  I m hoping for a quick response. This symptom has started 2 years ago. Thanks                                                                   Best,                                                                        Mr Rockoff
Avatar universal
the symptoms are back and am staggered you do not have an answer! Not wishing to come across as too sarcastic but if this was X-files ... the DEA would be on red alert!!

After a week of sexual abstinence, what I thought was Balanitis, has returned. Any wet and warm conditions, mouth or vagina, seems to activate the condition.

Ok, it's time for a visit to the Doctors' surgery, but surely there is something that will kill this infection????

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn to identify and prevent bites from summer’s most common pests.
Doctors argue for legislation to curb this dangerous teen trend in the latest Missouri Medicine report.
10 ways to keep your skin healthy all winter long
How to get rid of lumpy fat on your arms, hips, thighs and bottom
Diet “do’s” and “don’ts” for healthy, radiant skin.
Images of rashes caused by common skin conditions