Dermatology Forum

Please help question regarding daughter

Hello Dr.
My daughter is seven years old and last August I noticed some hypopigmented areas on her knuckles.  She also has a small patch on her wrist and one on her ankles.  Immediately I rushed assuming it was vitiligo.  Three doctors have examined her since then, in October, December and March with a wood;s lamp.  All wood's lamp examinations have been negative.  The spots do not flourensce.  The Dr.'s claim she has pigment, just a lighter shade then her skin.  They showed me an example of lint under the wood's lamp to show me what vitiligo would loook like.  The lint glowed blue-white as oppose to her spots which look a lighter shade of beige than her regular skin.  I asked for a biopsy and the said that the biopsy would show pigmet, therfore a negative vitiligo diagnosis.  
Dr. I wish to believe them, however, I the research I conduct shows the areas of her hypopigmentation to be the exact areas where her marks are.

Can these marks be something other than vitiligo?  Her dx: is post-inflammatory hypopigmentation.  Also, luckily, she is very fair skinned and I apply sunblock daily also locoid cream.  I have seen complete repigmentation on three spots, however, I see two new ones.

Are three wood's lamp examinations within six months enough to rule out vitiligo???

Also, I am concerned as the last examination was done with the light on.  That's were she showed me the difference between the glowing lint and her spots.
Dr. Please help

Wood's light examinations should be done with the lights out, to highlight contrast with surrounding skin.  I do not suggest performing a biopsy--and leaving a scar--on a child, since the diagnosis of vitiligo is made on clinical grounds--by looking.  I suggest you wait 3 months and have her looked at again.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff
Learn to identify and prevent bites from summer’s most common pests.
Doctors argue for legislation to curb this dangerous teen trend in the latest Missouri Medicine report.
10 ways to keep your skin healthy all winter long
How to get rid of lumpy fat on your arms, hips, thighs and bottom
Diet “do’s” and “don’ts” for healthy, radiant skin.
Images of rashes caused by common skin conditions