Aa
A
A
A
Close
Dermatology Community
53.8k Members

Possible Skin Tag or Mole Infection

Hi, over the last year, I have noticed what appears to be a skin tag developing on the side of my leg (less than a quarter inch big), just below my knee.  About three weeks ago, I applied bloodroot to the tag to remove it.  A very small piece from the top scabbed over and came off, but that was it, and I stopped applying the bloodroot.  Now, about 3 weeks later, all of a sudden the skin tag has started to hurt.  Within a 2 day time period, it has turned almost completely black and my skin surrounding it is red, indicating an infection.  Because it is black, it now looks like a mole more than a skin tag.  It is definitely symmetrical in shape and doesn't appear to fit a melanoma scenario other than the fact that it changed color in 2 days and stings quite bad if pressed.  I'm planning on visiting a dermatologist tomorrow or within the week to get this checked out, but does anybody have any thoughts or information about this recent development?  I can take a picture if you'd like, but it appears to have a 24 hour wait period before the picture will be approved.

Thanks in advance!
-Matt
0 Responses
Have an Answer?
Top Dermatology Answerers
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn to identify and prevent bites from summer’s most common pests.
Doctors argue for legislation to curb this dangerous teen trend in the latest Missouri Medicine report.
10 ways to keep your skin healthy all winter long
How to get rid of lumpy fat on your arms, hips, thighs and bottom
Diet “do’s” and “don’ts” for healthy, radiant skin.
Images of rashes caused by common skin conditions