Dermatology Forum

Rash gone now surrounding area "burns"

I am a 38 year old healthy athletic male.  Back in December of last year I had what I thought was a pimple or ingrown hair on my pelvis centered under my navel directly in the waistline of my boxers.  After messing with it way too much (even shaved it once) - It developed into a small rash a little bigger than a quarter.  It eventually healed (about 7 days) with the help of some Neosporin - leaving a small reddish area.  

It came back very quickly in mid-February - this time it healed in the same way. However - now I have a burning sensation that comes and goes all the way around my waistline - like my belt is warm. Sometimes the feeling is localized on my hips - sometimes on my back.  It seems that when I lay down it is worse on my back and in the crease of my abdomen when seated. The rash is gone but it still is bothering me.  Sometimes I think the skin is warm to the touch too.  It seems to be worse when I am active.  It is not too bad when I first wake up in the morning.  

Not looking forward to going to the doctor and having him tell me I am nuts.  Any ideas?
I don't think that you're nuts.  I do think you're probably fixating on this recurrent pimple/rash.  I'm not sure what you think these outbreaks might have been, but I they don't remind me of anything serious.  The feelings of warmth and so forth also don't sound significant.  I think you're worrying, is all.  Try ignoring the symptoms and see if they go away.  If not, then I guess you'll have to see a doctor.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff
Learn to identify and prevent bites from summer’s most common pests.
Doctors argue for legislation to curb this dangerous teen trend in the latest Missouri Medicine report.
10 ways to keep your skin healthy all winter long
How to get rid of lumpy fat on your arms, hips, thighs and bottom
Diet “do’s” and “don’ts” for healthy, radiant skin.
Images of rashes caused by common skin conditions