1661017 tn?1302629897

Rash on Face that comes and goes

Hi there everyone,

I have had this problem for a while now and its really getting me down. I have seen several doctors and have had different suggestions from each one. I have this small rash, that is around my mouth, on my chin and a patch above my eyebrow. It occasionally itches and is a little scaly and red. It's not like normal spots, it is constantly there, though can look faded sometimes then show up really red again for no reason. Sometimes a patch goes then another appears, so I never have clear skin. Overwise I have healthy skin, I cleanse, tone and moisturise twice a day with Clinique anti-blemish solutions which got rid of my normal spots a few years ago. I also eat a pretty varied diet and take multivitamins and omega 3 every day. I do some exercise, but could do with more. I also steam my face a few times a week and use a facial scrub once a week.

The doctors have said it folicitis, fungal infection and ezcema. I have tried fungal cream, steroid cream and vitamin D with no improvement.

Please see attached photo if that helps. I really need help as my doctors are not interested in finding out what it is and this has been going on for months.
4 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
563773 tn?1374246539
It is true that it can be eczema but from the symptoms periocular and perioral dermatitis also need to be ruled out. The other possibility is of seborrheic dermatitis. Seborrheic dermatitis is a common skin condition that causes flaky, dry, white to yellowish scales to form on oily areas esp under the nose or anywhere on face. People with seborrheic dermatitis produce too much sebum (the natural skin oil).

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

Helpful - 0
Avatar universal
It possibly may be, not 100% sure.  

"Several physicians?"  Have you seen a Dermatologist yet?  I would recommend doing that first.  

Meanwhile, I would not use all that stuff on your face; possibly irritating the problem.  I know you stated they were "dermatologically tested" but that does NOT mean they cannot ever cause a problem for some.  Just because you have never had a problem before with the products does NOT mean you cannot ever develop a problem with them later.  I would recommend you using a more mild soap and see if the problem clears.  You can also ask for a Rx for a topical antibiotic cream or oral medication too.    
Helpful - 0
1661017 tn?1302629897
I use Clinique Anti-blemish solutions - facial cleansing foam, toner, moisturiser and eye cream. These have never caused any reactions in the years of using them and they are dermatologically tested.

I have read about perioral dermatitis, it looks and sounds like a mild form of that. It's more common in women aged 25 - 40 and comes and goes. What does everyone else think?
Helpful - 0
Avatar universal
What kind of soap, toner and moisterizer are you using?  
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Dermatology Community

Top Dermatology Answerers
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn to identify and prevent bites from summer’s most common pests.
Doctors argue for legislation to curb this dangerous teen trend in the latest Missouri Medicine report.
10 ways to keep your skin healthy all winter long
How to get rid of lumpy fat on your arms, hips, thighs and bottom
Diet “do’s” and “don’ts” for healthy, radiant skin.
Images of rashes caused by common skin conditions