Rash

It's that time of the year. I live in the Northeast and winter is fast approaching. Every year when this season hits, my skin on my legs revolts. This may have something to do with my body’s lack of vitamins, the forced air heat used in the house, or possibly a combination of both. My shins and calves of my legs become dry and itchy sometimes to the point where scratching leaves visible marks. Additionally, small red blotches (circular and small in formation) and red non-defined rashes can appear. This is a condition that disappears in spring and does not bother me thru summer and fall. In the past I have used skin moisturizers such as Lubriderm with limited success. Aloe Vera Gel does not help. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated

You need to wash the areas several times with fresh water. Do not use any cosmetic products at the sites.

Apply calamine lotion at the site of the lesions and see if it helps. You could take some oral antihistamine medications like cetrizine or loratadine. You need to maintain a good personal hygiene .

Anti-itch drugs, often antihistamine, may reduce the itch during a flare up of eczema, and the reduced scratching in turn reduces damage and irritation to the skin.

For mild-moderate eczema a weak steroid may be used (e.g. hydrocortisone or desonide), whilst more severe cases require a higher-potency steroid (e.g. clobetasol propionate, fluocinonide).

Eczema can be exacerbated by dryness of the skin. Moisturizing is one of the most important self-care treatments for sufferers of eczema. Keeping the affected area moistened can promote skin healing and relief of symptoms.

Let us know if you need any further information.

It would be advisable to consult a skin specialist for your symptoms and a proper clinical examination.

Let us know if you need any other information and post us on how you are doing.

Regards.