Dermatology Community
53.6k Members
Avatar universal

Rashes on fingers

Hi doctor,

Two weeks ago, I was diagnosed with ringworms near my groin area and on my penis. I've been taking Terbinafine tablets and applying terbinafine cream, and it's been slowly improving.

But I think the rash has spread to my fingers. The area between my fingers and near my nails is very dry and crusty, sometimes giving off a transparent liquid. There are small bumps on my fingers as well, and there's a constant urge to itch. Its been there for the past 3 days. The first day, I tried applying Clotrimazole cream, and on the second, I tried Terbinafine, but neither worked even a little bit. I was hoping you could tell me if there's any cream that I can buy over the counter that'll help my condition.

Here are a few pictures: http://s1117.photobucket.com/albums/k599/omgitsdev/Rashes/

Please help!

4 Responses
Avatar universal
No responses yet... =(
563773 tn?1374250139
Three possibilities are there. The first possibility is of pompholyx. Pompholyx primarily involves the hands and fingers and then may involve the feet. The first stage is acute and presents as itchy blisters on the hands, fingers and toes. Then the chronic stage shows more peeling, cracking, or crusting. Then the skin heals up, or the blistering may start again. The exact cause is not known and excessive sweating can be one of the reasons.
The second possibility is of scabies which presents as red, itchy bite like blisters between the web spaces and is highly contagious. The third possibility is of a fungal infection but its chances are less likely.
I suggest you to get it checked from a dermatologist as nothing can be confirmed without examination. It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

Avatar universal
Hi doctor,

Thanks for the evaluation :). I had actually gotten myself diagnosed by a dermatologist in person, and it most definitely was diagnosed as pompholyx, but also with fungal infection. I used hydrocortisone 1% for the first and fluconazole 200mg once daily for 5 days for the latter. It's healed now and I'm doing better.

Thanks for your response. Its good to know doctors are there online for people who want some peace of mind.

563773 tn?1374250139
Chances are more that pompholyx or dyshidrotic eczema will recur. The next time it occurs, apply some calamine lotion on the affected area and keep the area well moisturized. Use only thin applications of moisturizer ointments as excessive amounts of ointment may restrict breathing of the skin and aggravate the condition.

Topical steroids can be applied but they are available under prescription. Moreover to prevent infection, topical antibiotics may be needed.
I hope it helps. Take care and regards.

Have an Answer?
Top Dermatology Answerers
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn to identify and prevent bites from summer’s most common pests.
Doctors argue for legislation to curb this dangerous teen trend in the latest Missouri Medicine report.
10 ways to keep your skin healthy all winter long
How to get rid of lumpy fat on your arms, hips, thighs and bottom
Diet “do’s” and “don’ts” for healthy, radiant skin.
Images of rashes caused by common skin conditions