Re-Occuring Rash, Redness, Discolored skin around my lips and mouth.

Hello Doctor,

I have a serious problem that I need to have figured out.  Currently, I am required to either use vaseline or chapstick at least 5 times a day or else my lips will get chapped/dry out.  My problem is that when when I use vaseline/chapstick the corners of my mouth get really red and make my mouth look really wide.  I also get a thin rash line right above my upper and lower lip.  When I try not to lick my lips and not put on any cremes, my lips dry out but I am still left with this dark spot on the corners of my mouth.

I am now really insecure about my lips and I want to get rid of it! Can you please help me?

I have attached a photo of what my lips look like on a typical day when putting on vaseline to make it feel better.

From your symptoms I would like to rule out atopic dermatitis
Cheilitis(Inflammation of the skin on and around the lips)is often seen in atopic dermatitis.Diagnosed by blood test like RAST. Treatment is by topical steroids or oral therapy of corticosteroids in severe cases. Topical creams like tacrolimus ointment (Protopic) and pimecrolimus cream (Elidel) are also useful.

I would suggest you to consult a dermatologist and get this possibility evaluated. It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your dermatologist. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.