Dermatology Forum

Red Rash, Itchy Skin

About a year ago I started to get an occasional itchiness on my upper back.. I'd have to csratch it with a hair brush.. It would turn real red, then suddenly vanish.. As of today, the itching happens every few days..back, arms,  legs, hip areas...   but I get these red welts, bumps.. they sometimes have a circular shape with a skin tone center .. see pictures ..  If I happen to scratch my skin I get a real red mark where it was scratched, goes away after a few minutes .. sounds like some type of infection, just not sure...  the red bump and welts usually appear in the morning just under the bicep and they come and go pretty quickly.    
These sound like hives, not allergic ones.  Try taking an over-the-counter, non-sedating antihistamine like Claritin or Zyrtec for ten days and see if that works.  Then see a doctor in person.  Take photos of when the rash is obvious and show them when you go.

Take care.

Dr. Rockoff
A related discussion, identify the cause was started.
A related discussion, Rash on ankle and leg was started.
A related discussion, round itchy rash on upper thighs and buttock area was started.
A related discussion, Red spots on ankles was started.
A related discussion, Itchy Groin was started.
A related discussion, difficult foreskin rash was started.
Learn to identify and prevent bites from summer’s most common pests.
Doctors argue for legislation to curb this dangerous teen trend in the latest Missouri Medicine report.
10 ways to keep your skin healthy all winter long
How to get rid of lumpy fat on your arms, hips, thighs and bottom
Diet “do’s” and “don’ts” for healthy, radiant skin.
Images of rashes caused by common skin conditions