Dermatology Community
53.6k Members
Avatar universal

Red Skin

I am 20 years old and have had serious skin problems for the past 3 or 4 years.  My skin on my nose and middle of face always seems to be red and especially after I wash it with water.  The skin on my forehead is completely normal though, so it is very hard to have such a drastic difference in color of skin tones.  I have used products with benzol peroxide so I figured I just burned it, but it still persists even when I do not use it.  I have visited a dermatologist because I thought I had rosacea, but he said that I do not and said it would go away and perscribed me duac gel.  I use it sparingly for acne but the redness and sensitivity just in the middle area of my face still persists.  Also, when I sweat my skin gets very red.  I need a solution because it is very uncofortable with clear normal looking skin on my forehead and bright red sensitive skin in the middle of my face.  I would appreciate any products or diagnoses that are out there.
1 Responses
Avatar universal

The symptoms you describe could be due to everyday causes such as anger, the food you eat, alcohol,  dehydration, etc.

This could also be - Rosacea; once the above causes have been ruled out.

Rosacea is a cutaneous disorder primarily of convexities of the central part of the FACE, such as FOREHEAD; CHEEK; NOSE; and CHIN. It is characterized by FLUSHING; ERYTHEMA; EDEMA; RHINOPHYMA; papules; and ocular symptoms.

Doctors usually prescribe a topical antibiotic, such as metronidazole, that is applied directly to the affected skin.

For people with more severe cases, doctors often prescribe an oral (taken by mouth) antibiotic. Tetracycline, minocycline, erythromycin, and doxycycline are the most common antibiotics used to treat rosacea. Some people respond quickly, while others require long-term therapy.

Isotretinoin may be considered as a treatment option for all forms of severe or therapy-resistant rosacea.

Sunscreens, particularly those that protect against ultraviolet A and B light waves and have a sun-protecting factor (SPF) of 13 or higher, are recommended for all people with rosacea.

It would be advisable to consult a skin specialist for this and then decide the cause and further plan of management.

Let us know if you need any other information.

Have an Answer?
Top Dermatology Answerers
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn to identify and prevent bites from summer’s most common pests.
Doctors argue for legislation to curb this dangerous teen trend in the latest Missouri Medicine report.
10 ways to keep your skin healthy all winter long
How to get rid of lumpy fat on your arms, hips, thighs and bottom
Diet “do’s” and “don’ts” for healthy, radiant skin.
Images of rashes caused by common skin conditions