Dermatology Community
53.5k Members
Avatar universal

Red bump on inner thigh...

Hi! I am 26 years old and have been having a problem with red bumps on my inner thigh. I been to the doctors several times, but they have not "fixed" me yet. I have just been worried that it might be something like MRSA or something serious. I was on the antibiotic bactrim for a while and they got better, but now and then one will pop up and get me worked up again. It started off with bumps (zit like) coming up on my inner thigh (also some on my arm). They would get red, warm, and have a red ring around the bump. They are somewhat painful, but not so bad I can't do my normal everyday stuff. Then they usually get better and turn in to purple/red spots and slowly go away. I have one now on my leg and just need some advice. I spoke with my doctor today and she said that she thought I would be okay and that she didn't want to put me on any more antibiotics because I have been on few different ones in the last few months. She said that I was young and she thought that my body would be able to fight the infection or bacteria (whatever it is), but it just might take some time. I just wanted to get some other input on what it might be. For the most part the bumps don't bother me but like last night it was red, hot, and had the red ring around it. Could it be folliculitis? Should it be something I should worry about or see another doctor? Thanks for the help.

1 Responses
563773 tn?1374250139

They sound like boils or furuncle. Boils are caused by infection of the hair follicle by staph aureus. A boil generally starts as a reddened, tender area. Over time, the area becomes firm and hard. Eventually, the center of the abscess softens and becomes filled with pus. Finally, the pus "forms a head," which can be surgically opened or spontaneously drain out through the surface of the skin.

Pls keep the area clean and apply some warm compresses. Also wear loose-fitting cotton clothing and use an antibacterial soap or mild soap like dove.Avoid any kind of cosmetics. Topical antibiotics such as mupirocin or neomycin containing ointment are also useful.In case the symptoms persist then oral antibiotics may be needed.Pls consult a dermatologist in that case.Also as it is recurrent boils,so get your blood sugar levels estimated.

Hope it helps.Take care and pls do keep me posted on how you are doing and if you have any additional queries.

Have an Answer?
Top Dermatology Answerers
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn to identify and prevent bites from summer’s most common pests.
Doctors argue for legislation to curb this dangerous teen trend in the latest Missouri Medicine report.
10 ways to keep your skin healthy all winter long
How to get rid of lumpy fat on your arms, hips, thighs and bottom
Diet “do’s” and “don’ts” for healthy, radiant skin.
Images of rashes caused by common skin conditions