Red bumps appear after I get wet

For the past three years or as far back as I can remember everytime I get wet I always get this weird rash. This rash usually appears on my chest and back and sometimes on my legs. When ever I work out or leave the pool this rash would appear. I swim about 20 hours a week in a chlorine pool so that might be part of this problem. The rash consumes about 50% of my torso and back with red spots. In the middle of these spots are little individual bumps that are very itchy. This only last for about 5 minutes until my skin drys but I just wonder why my skin does this. Also whenever I put on jeans my legs will start itching like crazy. I have alot of problems, can anyone give some suggestions??
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I know exactly what you are talking about...I started having this after a shower when I was a teen ager...I am many years older now and still get it occasionally after going in a pool/not chorinated either...It was diagnosed by my PCP as hives...they are raised white or pink blotchy areas. The itching is awful...but as you wrote it goes away as fast as it appears...
I would bet you that is what it is...I also get these areas on my face and hands in winter/freezing
weather...again they go away when I come into my house...
It aslo tends to be sporadic...no need to take an antihistamine since they go away quickly.
I am sorry for you since the itch is intense...
If you look up hives, it will tell you cold or warmth may cause this...
Good luck to you...
Helpful - 0
So I'm guessing there is no "cure" for this and I'm just going to have to deal with it until I grow out of it? Anyway thanks so much for clarifying what it is. Its just annoying being the only one stepping out of the pool on my swim team glowing red but I can get by. Again thanks so much!!
Helpful - 0
Rash which appears after contact with water can be due to aquagenic urticaria. Water urticaria, or aquagenic urticaria, is a rare condition in which hives develop within 1 to 15 minutes after contact with water. The hives last for 10 to 120 minutes and do not seem to be caused by histamine release like the other physical hives.

It is diagnosed by applying tap water and distilled water to the skin and observing the reaction. Contact dermatitis can be diagnosed from your symptoms and physical examination. Blood tests and x-rays are not helpful.
Treatment of water urticaria includes epinephrine, antihistamines, or cortisone-like drugs. Itching can be controlled with cold packs or commercial topical agents that contain menthol, camphor, eucalyptus oil, aloe, antihistamines, or cortisone preparations.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

Helpful - 0
I have the same problem except it ONLY happens when I shower. It occurs on my chest stomach back and arms. I am very confused an don't want to go to the doctor is there even anything they can do about it.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Dermatology Community