Red bumpy rash on arms?

I shaved my arms once in late September and nothing was wrong for several weeks. After about a month i developed a red rash as shown in pictures. The severity of the rash fluctuates constantly. I ended up visiting the doctor in early November and I was then prescribed antibiotics. The antibiotics helped to clear the rash a very tiny bit but after the round of antibiotics was up my rash came back once again, but this time worse. I revisited my doctor and she referred me to the dermatologist to get a skin sample. I was just wondering if anyone had any similar rashes or could help me diagnose this issue. The rash is not itchy or irritating just pinkish red bumps all over and some are dry. It only covers the parts of my arm that were shaved, so i am assuming this is some kind of reaction to shaving but not quite sure what. Pictures are shown please help with what this could be and any suggestions to help get rid of it or calm it down?
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Possibly a mild folliculitis and may be related to shaving. Antibiotic cremes(Mupirocin) do help as ext application.Do consult doc.
Helpful - 0
It can be due to folliculitis. Folliculitis is the inflammation of one or more hair follicles. The condition may occur anywhere on the skin.It starts when hair follicles are damaged by friction from clothing or blockage of the follicle. In most cases of folliculitis, the damaged follicles are then infected with the bacteria Staphylococcus (staph).

Keep the area clean and apply some topical antiseptics. Also wear loose-fitting cotton clothing and use an antibacterial soap or mild soap like dove.Avoid any kind of cosmetics. Topical antibiotics such as mupirocin or neomycin containing ointment are also useful.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Dermatology Community