Red marks!!?

hi im 15 years old and im a girl..ever since i was 14 after getting acne i would get these red marks on my face that are not bumpy..but they're splotchy..how can i get rid of them? They make me feel self conscious around bright lights. What are they? Why does it seem like nobody else has skin as bad as mine with no makeup??!!! Please help me! :(
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Hi there,

So you say that these marks are from the acne you USED to have? If so, they are simply the discolorations left on the skin from where your breakouts were. Don't worry-- everybody is left with these marks after acne, and I know it can make you feel really insecure. (I hate bright lights as well!) But they are not permanent and fade on their own overtime. Besides makeup, there are plenty of things you can do. Exfoliating once or twice a week will help speed up the cell's turnover rate (just use a gentle exfoliant) and even if some are indented in the skin, this will help even things out. For more severe cases, laser skin resurfacing and microdermabrasion are excellent procedures offered at skincare clinics.
There is hope, darlin'! No need to worry.
Helpful - 0
It can be due to post inflammatory hyperpigmentation. Without treatment, this usually takes about 6 months to resolve and for the skin color to go back to its normal color.  Topical treatments with acids and chemical peels can be effective but can take a while for the skin to totally revert to its normal color.  Microdermabrasion can also be done, but this might require several sessions.  Skin resurfacing using lasers is also an option.  

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Dermatology Community