Red patch of skin on my penis

I have this red patch of skin under the head of my penis and I have no idea what it is.  It first started months ago as a small clump of dry skin that I decided to peel off leaving a small red spot where the skin was peeled, I figured it would heal on its own but since then the red area has slowly gotten bigger.  The spot is painless except for when I masturbate when it does feel raw but other than that I don't feel any itching.  The red area is also dry and sometimes I'll see dry dead skin on the edges.  I would like to know if anyone has dealt with anything like this or knows what this is?  I'd really like to resolve this, at the moment its not very easy for me to go to a doctor because I don't have much money but if this sounds like something serious or life threatening to anyone then I will most definitely go.

This could be balanitis. Balanitis is inflammation of the glans penis. When the foreskin (or prepuce) is also affected, it is termed balanoposthitis.

Inflammation has many possible causes, including irritation by environmental substances, physical trauma, and infection by a wide variety of pathogens, including bacteria, virus, or fungus—each of which require a particular treatment.

Retract the foreskin daily and soak in warm water to clean penis and foreskin. Apply bacitracin (not Neosporin) for pediatric patients if bacterial infection is suspected.
Apply topical clotrimazole for adult men with probable candidal balanitis.

If the symptoms persist, you would need to consult your doctor.

Let us know if you need any other information.

Regards.
Well I don't have foreskin but I did look up pictures of Balanitis and I found a couple that look familiar.  Do I try both the bacitracin and topical clotrimazole or just one or the other?