Serious Lip Peeling Issue

Ive been having this problem for a year now, my bottom lip has been peeling and it seems as if the main skin on the lip is peeling away because the skin after that is dry, scaly and white...when i try to wet it with water it seems as if nothing can make it wet....i believe that i have an allergic reaction to something but I just want to know if the skin on my lower lip will grow back or its gone?

I you've had this problem or know someone with it and can help me out, please comment and let me know what i can/should I do?

This has been going on for to long and has affected my life in a way...so please leave comments!

Thanks!

This could be due to eczema or cheilitis.

Try the following measures and see if it helps with your symptoms.
1. Drink plenty of water.
2. Use lip balm. Wax-based products like Chapstick provide a protective covering to the lips to prevent free radicals, the environment, and the weather from taking their toll on this sensitive area.
3. Apply sunscreen to your lip area, too. Wear makeup, including lipstick, with an SPF of 45 or higher.
4. Avoid hyperallergenic lipstick or lip liner.
5. Stay away from environmental factors that can damage your skin. Smoking cigarettes or chewing tobacco, drinking alcohol, working with heavy-duty chemicals or fumes, and other factors may irritate your lips and lead to peeling or cracking. Wear a face mask when you're around strong smells or emissions. Don't wash your face with strong or harsh soap. Treat your lips gently to help care for this delicate skin.

Let us know if you need any other information and post us about how you are doing.

Regards.
Hi.  I have had a similar problem.  My lips have been peeling for about 2 months now.  It started to peel off and then the peeling traveled to the inside of my nose.  It will not stop peeling and it burns.  I have tried using blistex and regular chap stick but nothing seems to help.  Someone please help!!

This could be a part of Cheilitis, which is a medical condition involving inflammation of the lip. Or a bad case of Chapped lips , a condition whereby the lips become dry and possibly cracked. It may be caused by the evaporation of moisture.

Lip balm can often provide temporary relief, though it should not be used extensively.  One should avoid licking their lips as saliva contains the enzyme amylase, which can damage the already compromised lip tissue.
Honey can be used on the lips as a natural remedy.

Cheilitis is associated with many conditions from Vitamin B12 deficiency, iron deficiency anemia, be a symptom of allergies.can also be caused by taking the (retinoid) drug Isotretinoin (brand name Roaccutane).

Applying protective paraffin-based ointment (such as Vaseline) or lip balms to the lips is normally very effective. Also take Vitamin B supplements.

If nothing works you can have a biopsy done to find out the cause.
ref:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chapped_lips

Some causes of the symptoms you mention, could be lip biting, lip licking, Vit.B2 deficiency, smoking, overexposure to sun and ill fitting dentures. In extreme cases, this could be due to bacterial or fungal skin infection.

You need to drink plenty of water daily – around 1.5 – 3 litres per day and eat a balanced diet. Do not keep your lips dry; apply lip balm which contains sunscreen – preferably a medicated one.

If the symptoms still persist, consult your skin specialist or dermatologist.

Let us know about how you are doing and if you have any other doubts.

Regards.
I came on here hoping I would find "the" answer to my peeling lip problem.  I do have eczema on my face around my nose and have had it on my top lip, but the constant peeling on my bottom lip and the inside of my top lip several times a day is not eczema.  My lips dry out and peel off.  Like a lizard losing it's skin.  It doesn't always hurt, only if I help it along too much.  Long pieces of skin will just peel away and it has been going on for years.  I have used Aquaphor constantly forever.  Any thoughts?
I have been suffering from this condition myself for over 16 years.  It has caused severe depressed and anxiety.  I've become a shut in.  I hate to leave my house, can barely work, don't go out with friends, haven't had a girlfriend in years....I could go on but I think you understand.

Here is a picture of my condition in one of its worst stages:

http://i772.photobucket.com/albums/yy9/lookingforacure/lips1.jpg

The piece of gum in my mouth is not cinnamon flavored.  I usually don't chew gum anyway, and this condition persists.

Basically, the skin on my lips will peel and just stay there.  No matter how long I leave it, it'll stay, so I'll end up rubbing it off so that it doesn't look too grotesque.  I work in retail.  Everyone notices, and some of the employees will hint at me, but no one has approached me about it, thankfully.

It has gone away only on two seperate occasions.  Both times was about three weeks after I had started taking Centrum multivitamins.  Thing is, it comes back that same day.

I found out a few years ago that I am allergic to certain metals.  I had gotten a pair of glasses that were either nickel or titanium(I honestly can't remember).  Could this be contact dermatitis?

I had dental fillings put in many years ago.  Is there any chance that I could be allergic to the fillings?

This condition has turned me into a person I'm starting to dislike.  I can't smile at people.  I'm highly uncomfortable in social situations.

Please help.

Hey whats up man, I saw the pic of you condition...I have the same problem maybe worst...mine problem started when I was 20 and im 24 now. I went to many doctors most of them put me on differents creams and lotion that did nothing. but there was one dermatologist that seem like he wanted to help but I never got a chance to go back to him he wanted me to have a biopsy done and said it may be an alergic reaction because its not just my lip that gets dry, its my whole body...when coming out the shower I have to put lotion on about 3 times because it seems like my skin just eats it up. but the my lips something that everyone see and notice soon as they see me and I can definitly say that it has changed me. theres alot of places I dont go to because of it....I mainly go to work and come home. I go out when I really have to.

Doctors told me many things like: It could be from saliva but when I wake up from sleep it doesnt look as bad as it does when I go out and I do drool alot when I sleep.

and NEEDYRECLUSE I understand what you mean when you say its hard to smile because when you try to forget its there and smile with some people they stare and it makes you think, whats the next persons gonna do.

But if anything you or anyone can email me at: ***@****

I'd like to pictures of anyones problem thats similar to mine. thanks

Kenny

I do have the same problem as well. I had this problem over 10+ yrs or longer. I literally use nail clippers to clip off the excess skin (NO JOKE). Mine will start of slow and after using chap stick it does seem to accelerate the peeling more and that's when I will either use a nail clipper or when I take a shower it will come off easier. I wish there was something out there to alleviate this problem. It is practically a daily occurrence. I may get one day of relief at most. Then the cycle begins all over.
I should state that I do have all year round allergies and food allergies as well.  
i too have the same problem(peeling lips) since an year.initially it was in lower lips now its started in the upper also,it all started after a small infection,my lip got bulged heavily and got normal after some days. i went many doctors and used many lip balms but it remained same no cure was found. its getting worst after brushing and after shower
can any one help me out or sow me the way
i dunno if any of you have heard about glycerine.... jus put it on ur lips it will help alot... and before sleeping do put cream on your lips ... they make the lips softer
I have the same problem but I use chapstick all the time to keep them moisturized (this softens the excess skin on my lips) after that I brush my teeth and rub the excess skin off my lips with a towel or cloth. It works and I have to remind myself to stop licking/biting my lips. I also drink plenty of water (no sodas, juices, only water). After I rub the excess skin off it feels like such a relieve and I do not apply Chapstick afterwards I just leave my lips nude with nothing on them...it seems to work for me for a while, try it!
my 5 year old has the same problem. Thick chunks of skin peel off of his bottom lip constantly. Our Dr. recommended starting him on a pro biotic because the issue could be stomach related. It cleared his lips up pretty quickly.
Hey I'm 21 and i use to smoke 2 yrs ago my lips stay chapped and if i put on chapstick it seem like my lips get even dryer the chapstick does not stay on long and also it seems like my upper lip and bottom the top layer of my skin is gone should i go to a dermatologist about this? can some one please help!