Aa
A
A
A
Close
Dermatology Community
54k Members

Severe Seborrheic Dermatitis

Hi, I have a question regarding my scalp, back and upper chest.
I want to know what I am supposed to do with my severe discomfort I am experiencing at the moment even after consulting several dermatologists.
Below some information about it:
It all started about a year and a half ago with my scalp.
I started getting hair loss, my hair became VERY oily and hard to wash(I had to and still have to use shampoo 3-4 times after not showering for 2-3 days), fatigued, itchy skin
blood discharge, crust, dandruff and even puss at times and it all started to cause A LOT of discomfort to the point where I could not sleep like before anymore,
made normal things like going out to do the groceries a huge plight and I even felt like it started affecting my mental health in ways I can not express.
I went ahead and did some research on my own before going out of my way to consult a doctor and figured out I had to shave my scalp in order to figure out what it was
(a lot of negative experiences with ''doctors'' down here if you know what I mean). I came to the conclusion that it must be Seborrheic Dermatitis/eczema/cradle crap, because not only are the symptoms the same but the red and oily areas looked exactly like in the pictures.
So I went to a doctor after a while of unfortunate negligence on my part( HUGE waiting lists/school/work etc.) and he gave me a prescription that I had to give my pharmacist so he could mix a skin cream/suspension for me.
The cream did not work, it in fact made it worse and was a huge let down. So I again did my own homework and figured out that Ketoconazole shampoos might work.
And it did but after 6 months up until now the effectiveness has gone down and the promise of the shampoo to make it all get to a point where I would have to use the shampoo
only once a week, was not kept in my case.
So I went to another dermatologist yesterday and he told me Ketoconazole is the only thing he could come up with as well and said I could not get it prescribed even after telling
him that I have severe discomfort...... He gave me a prescription for my upper chest and back though. He prescribed me a 10mg/g solution of Erythromycin and a 5% Wash suspension of Benzoyl peroxide,
since he said I had acne. As far as I am concerned it might be Seborrheic Eczema/ dermatitis/cradle crap but I have to wait and see for myself if it works out for my chest and back.

I really do not know what to do right now, I just know that I still have all the symptoms of Seborrheic Dermatitis and nothing has become better. My scalp is really becoming a plight.
I hope that you can help me.

1 Responses
Sorry for the wall of text thought xD.
Have an Answer?
Top Dermatology Answerers
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn to identify and prevent bites from summer’s most common pests.
Doctors argue for legislation to curb this dangerous teen trend in the latest Missouri Medicine report.
10 ways to keep your skin healthy all winter long
How to get rid of lumpy fat on your arms, hips, thighs and bottom
Diet “do’s” and “don’ts” for healthy, radiant skin.
Images of rashes caused by common skin conditions