Dermatology Forum

Skin Irritation

I wrote to you last November re: a problem on my penis skin.  At that time I told you I had an irritated patch of skin about the size of 1/2 a fingernail.  This has been there since late September 2003.

I went to the urologist who gave me a thorough examination (I was sore the next day).  He told me it was a fungal infection and prescribed an antifungal/steroid cream that set my whole crotch on fire and accomplished nothing (you noted on this sight that this cream was not well regarded by dermatologists).

Next, I went to a dermatologist.  This doctor was very difficult to deal with and didn't explain things very well.  No matter how hard I pressed I really couldn't get straight answers.  However, I'll do my best to summarize what he said.

At the first visit, the dermatologist said it was a skin inflammation and he did not know the cause.  He injected something (anti-inflammatory?)directly into the penis skin, he also injected an anti-inflammatory into my hip muscle.  He prescribed prednisone and beta/gen cream which I was to apply six times daily.  I returned to this doctor 4 more time at 2-3 day intervals (continuing to use the cream and getting injections each time).  Each time, he told me the inflammation had gone down and "I don't see anything underneath it."  A culture was taken (fungal and bacterial tests were done) but he never discussed the results.  The only thing he did say was that the test came back positive for some type of staph infection but he didn't think that was causing the inflammation. (Huh?)

Due to scheduling conflicts I stopped seeing the dermatologist about 10 days ago but have continued to use the beta/gen cream.  While the area is much improved, it is still not 100%.

Right now, the area is still the same size and maybe a shade redder than the rest of the skin.  When flaccid, you probably couldn't see it if you were examining me unless I pointed it out.  The affected area retains the skin wrinkles of the rest of the area, but the skin looks thin and there is a defined border with an irregular shape.  It's more noticeable when I pull the skin.  When I get an erection, the area looks raised, like a small flat bubble.  Masturbation (with lotion) or sex tends to make the area slightly inflamed (although not like it was) and a deeper shade of red.  I have no other symptoms except some irritated skin between my fingers which the doctor again called "inflammation."  The doctor couldn't say if the finger issue was related to the penis skin problem.

I do not like the dermatologist I was seeing and I'm not crazy about starting with yet another doctor.  I also don't like the idea of using steroids.

My questions:

(1) Any idea what this might be?
(2) Any suggestions for over-the-counter remedies?
(3) Any suggestions for non-steroidal therapy?
(3) Does this sound like cancer? (my dermatologist would not rule this out)
(4) If I go back to a doctor, should I see a urologist or a dermatologist?

Thanks!
Your story is perplexing.  I doubt the urologist's diagnosis of "fungus."  As to the dermatologist, I have never had to inject a rash on the penis with anything, so I have little notion of what that was about.

Having said all this, I think all you have is residual redness from prior inflammation.  This would look redder after examination, masturbation, etc., but that doesn't mean anything.

Your condition sounds nothing at all like cancer.

I advise you to see another dermatologist, who can prescribe non-steroid creams like Protopic or Elidel, or better yet, perhaps no treatment at all, since I really doubt you need any.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff
Forgot to mention that the irritation is on the underside of my penis near the head in the skin folds.  Thanks.
Learn to identify and prevent bites from summer’s most common pests.
Doctors argue for legislation to curb this dangerous teen trend in the latest Missouri Medicine report.
10 ways to keep your skin healthy all winter long
How to get rid of lumpy fat on your arms, hips, thighs and bottom
Diet “do’s” and “don’ts” for healthy, radiant skin.
Images of rashes caused by common skin conditions