Dermatology Community
53.6k Members
Avatar universal

Skin Pigmentation

Hello sir,
   I am Dr. Prema , a Gynecologist from karnataka, INDIA. I am 55years old & attained menopause 4 years ago. I started getting irregular pigmentation on face & neck since then. And it is increasing gradually. My skin type is dryone. I use lots of moisturisers, petrolium jelly, sunscreens having SPF. I had chemical peeling with neostrata with no benifits.
    I also used kosic acid for 3 months with no response. Now i am applying Hydroquinone 2% with Tretinoin .o25% & mometasone furoate 0.1% w/w since 2months. I noticed slight improvement initially & agian now it is worsening.
    I know it is due to estrogen defeciency. I do not want to use estrogen because of side effect(ie breast malignancy) & i do not want to go all those screening test ie endo cytology& mamography
    I am told to use exfoliaters & hydroquenone 4% & retinon 2%. I am loosing hope.
   Kindly advise me about how to take care of my skin & what to use in detail to reduce my pigmentation. I am not going out in sun & i use AC car.
   Hope I get the advice as soon as possible.
1 Responses
563773 tn?1374250139
There are many possibilities for your symptoms chief ones being solar lentigo, lentigenes or melasma. Melasma is caused by hormonal changes, which stimulate a temporary increase in your body's production of melanin. People with darker complexions are more prone to this condition than people with lighter skin.

Treatment options include treatment with vitamin C and hydrocortisone, peel with carbon dioxide snow and alexandrite and ND-Yag Q-Switched laser treatment preceded by a hydroquinone-based application. Please discuss these options with your dermatologist.

Lentigo is a small, sharply circumscribed, pigmented macule surrounded by normal-appearing skin.
You cannot remove them at home.Cryosurgery using liquid nitrogen and laser are the main treatment modalities.
It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your dermatologist. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

Have an Answer?
Top Dermatology Answerers
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn to identify and prevent bites from summer’s most common pests.
Doctors argue for legislation to curb this dangerous teen trend in the latest Missouri Medicine report.
10 ways to keep your skin healthy all winter long
How to get rid of lumpy fat on your arms, hips, thighs and bottom
Diet “do’s” and “don’ts” for healthy, radiant skin.
Images of rashes caused by common skin conditions