Aa
A
A
A
Close
Dermatology Community
53.6k Members

Skin Rash

My three old daughter, who has already been diagnosed with keratosis pilaris (spelling?), is now sporting a bright red rash that covers her entire bottom most days.  Some days it decreases and the next day it is back.  There are no bumps, red sores, etc...just a bright red rash.  It almost looks like someone has been hitting her butt without leaving a hand print, just covering her bottom in the red rash.  I have tried using cortisone cream on the bottom.  It helps, but it doesn't cure it.  She is also in a bathtub with baking powder as I write this.  (It helped her diaper rash when she was in diapers.  She is potty trained.  It is only on the skin, not inside, and hasn't spread beyond her bottom.

Please help!
1 Responses
563773 tn?1374250139
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
Hello,
It can be due to contact dermatitis, allergies, moisture(due to sweating or frequent washing), the abrasion caused by clothing,the pressure of sitting, chemical irritants like laundry soaps, colognes and scented toilet paper, due to the dermatitis by the bleaching powder or due to skin diseases like eczema or seborrhea.

First of all stop using the bleaching powder as it may be further aggravating the rash. Avoid using any lotions and creams for the meantime. Wash your area with a mild cleanser with moisturizing properties like Cetaphil. Pat it dry. Then apply a good hypoallergenic moisturizer over the area and see if this improves. If the symptoms still persist then you can apply mild steroid and make her wear cotton nappies.

If the symptoms are severe then please do consult a dermatologist.
It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

Have an Answer?
Top Dermatology Answerers
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn to identify and prevent bites from summer’s most common pests.
Doctors argue for legislation to curb this dangerous teen trend in the latest Missouri Medicine report.
10 ways to keep your skin healthy all winter long
How to get rid of lumpy fat on your arms, hips, thighs and bottom
Diet “do’s” and “don’ts” for healthy, radiant skin.
Images of rashes caused by common skin conditions