Avatar universal

Skin Rash

I have this rash. Somedays it isn't really visible as much and sometimes it gets irritated and itchy.

Really want to fix it. Please help.

here's the picture I took
2 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
563773 tn?1374246539
Thanks for posting your query.

I can understand your concern for the itchy skin rash and have checked the photograph.

From your symptoms, there can be many possibilities but few important possibilities which need to be ruled out are:

1) Contact dermatitis: Irritant contact dermatitis which occurs when chemicals or physical agents damage the surface of the skin. These irritant can be everyday things as water, detergents, solvents, acids etc.

2) Second possibility is of sweat dermatitis. It is a form of atopic dermatitis. Sweat is one of the most aggravating factors in atopic dermatitis.

High humidity causes increased sweating and may result in prickly-heat-type symptoms.This may cause small red rashes and itching.

3) Third possibility is of elastolytic granuloma. It presents with asymptomatic annular (ring-shaped) plaques on sun-exposed sites in fair skinned middle-aged men/ women living in sunny climates.

You need to get it examined physically from a dermatologist to confirm the diagnosis. He/ she may even do a biopsy by taking a small skin scraping from the effected skin to confirm the diagnosis.

Till then wear cotton clothes, use mild soaps like Dove and try to prevent that portion of the body from sweating like by wearing light and cotton clothes,taking cool refreshing baths,maintaining the temperature in your homes and cars and avoiding strenuous activities. Also apply a good sunscreen with minimum spf 30 atleast half an hour before going out in the sun. You can take non-sedating antihistamines such as Cetirizine or Loratadine(Claritin) when the rash itches but preferably should be taken under medical guidance.

Hope that this information helps and hope that you get better soon.

Wishing you good health.

Helpful - 1
Avatar universal
Thanks for that.

I've always felt like it had a connection with heat as it started getting worse since going to the gym regularly.

Can rule out number 3 as I'm 21 and live in a mostly cold country.

When I went to my doctor (GP) a couple months back, she said it was a fungal skin infection. She doesn't specialise in skin so probably gave an incorrect diagnosis as the cream she prescribed, didn't work. I should be able to get her to refer me to a Dermatologist. But if she doesn't is there a cream that you would recommend?
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Dermatology Forum

Popular Resources
Learn to identify and prevent bites from summer’s most common pests.
Doctors argue for legislation to curb this dangerous teen trend in the latest Missouri Medicine report.
10 ways to keep your skin healthy all winter long
How to get rid of lumpy fat on your arms, hips, thighs and bottom
Diet “do’s” and “don’ts” for healthy, radiant skin.
Images of rashes caused by common skin conditions