Skin around nose wont heal

I don't know what's wrong with my nose but for more than a year now I've noticed something wrong with the skin on my nose. I didn't really realize it was a problem until recently. It would almost look like my skin was breaking out in a few small pimples on the upper right side of my nose. I used to wash my face with just hot water as to not over dry my skin. I think that caused the problem because I noticed it seemed to get bigger and it almost seems like there are a few miscellaneous spots on my face near my nose that it spread to. It is just more red than most skin, doesn't really itch or anything but it's red and almost seems more oily than I remember. I used a menthol face cleaner in the shower and it made my skin feel great and it looked like the skin started healing but then I started using it more than once a day and it made my skin really dry and I had to find a medium which seems to be using it once in the shower in the morning. About a month ago it looked worse because I scratched at it to get away any dead skin and it basically just took the top layer of skin off of my nose where it was at.

I tried to make appointments with dermatologists but they're booked for like 6 months. I don't have insurance or lots of money as I'm currently on unemployment. I don't know if it would do any good to go into a walk in clinic but it's embarrassing. I feel like people are wondering what's on my face if it's some disease and honestly I can't even answer them if they asked which makes it worse. Once I saw a doctor for something different and I asked him as I was leaving but of course they never like to answer other questions about things as you're leaving. He mentioned something that I can easily put on it or so he made it sound, but I quickly forgot what he said it was. He didn't seem stumped at all really, he was just like it's blah blah or something.. Although I can't remember what he said.

I don't want to wait 6 months to see if it gets worse. I used to be proud of my skin because I thought I had a nice complexion but lately in my later 20's I don't feel like my skin is quite the same. I notice broken blood vessels here and there and this blotch on my nose that won't go away and if I spend too much time or not enough time dealing with it, it seems to get worse and never go away. Some days I'll wash it in the shower and look in the mirror and it'll look great and later during the day it'll look pretty bad and red going down the right side of my nose from top to bottom.

What should I do other than make an appointment 6 months from now? What if it's something that should've been taken care of a year ago, six more months can't be good to wait. :( I'm in Connecticut so if anyone reading knows of a dermatologist nearby.. :)
Without examination it is very difficult confirming a diagnosis but it can be seborrheic dermatitis or rosacea. Seborrheic dermatitis is a common skin condition that causes flaky, dry, white to yellowish scales to form on oily areas esp. under the nose or anywhere on face. Rosacea is a cutaneous disorder primarily of convexities of the central part of the face, such as forehead; cheeks; nose; and chin. Pimples are sometimes included as part of the definition.

Treatment options vary from antibiotic creams, antihistaminics, sun screens to laser treatment. A dermatologist’s evaluation will be the best in differentiating the two.

I hope it helps. Take care and please do keep me posted in case you have any additional doubts. Kind regards.