Dermatology Community
53.6k Members
Avatar universal

Skin discoloration... food allergy?


I get this from time to time, and can't figure out why. I thought it was from something I was eating, but I'm not sure. Usually allergy rashes are red, or itch, or puff up. This is just a weird mottled-looking skin discoloration, it doesn't hurt and doesn't itch. I get it on my inner thighs, inner calves, and inner upper arms. I posted a photo, if anyone has ever seen anything like it.. lemme know!


2 Responses
Avatar universal
I should also mention there's no history of any kind of disease in my family, and the only real health problems I suffer from are anxiety and stress..

563773 tn?1374250139
Your symptoms are suggestive of pityriasis versicolor. It is a common skin infection caused by the yeast Malassezia furfur. This skin disease commonly affects adolescents and young adults, especially in warm and humid climate.
Most cases of fungal infection respond to over-the-counter products, which contain any of several basic ingredients: miconazole, tolnaftate, terbinafine, ketaconazole and clotrimazole. You can consult a pharmacist and get any cream or lotion containing these ingredients. Some of them are Lamisil, Monistat derm, Mycelex, and Nizoral.

If the symptoms persist then please consult a dermatologist.
I hope it helps. Take care and please do keep me posted in case you have any additional doubts. Kind regards.

Have an Answer?
Top Dermatology Answerers
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn to identify and prevent bites from summer’s most common pests.
Doctors argue for legislation to curb this dangerous teen trend in the latest Missouri Medicine report.
10 ways to keep your skin healthy all winter long
How to get rid of lumpy fat on your arms, hips, thighs and bottom
Diet “do’s” and “don’ts” for healthy, radiant skin.
Images of rashes caused by common skin conditions