Aa
A
A
A
Close
Dermatology Community
53.6k Members

Skin discoloration

Hello, I am a 25 year old white female who has recently noticed a skin discoloration above my upper lip and moving down now around my lowe lip.  I'm getting very self-conscious about it- it just came about probably a few weeks ago- it resembles a light 5 o'clock shadow - I know weird.  There is no possibility of being pregnant and I use the Nuva Ring as birthcontrol.  I was trying to read up on it and a lot of things tell me to avoid the sun, but I feel that since my tan is fading, that area is getting darker and more noticable, my mom just said something to me about it the other day, I am now in hiding (just kidding).  I don't have an appointment with the dermatologist for a couple weeks(its so hard to get an appointment) and I was just wondering if anyone had any advice?  I was thinking about calling my facial girl and asking her to see if maybe a peel or something would help but I'm afraid its going to make it worse.  Thanks!
1 Responses
Hi,
Hormonal level fluctuations are known to cause skin pigmentation changes in females.
Usually, hyperpigmentation will gradually lessen over time and normal skin colour will return. However, this willrequire time, about  6-12 months or longer.
You  shoulduse a good broad spectrum sunscreen daily to reduce further discoloration.

A variety of skin lightening agents are available to lighten/bleach hyperpigmented lesions. Usually combinations of the treatments below are usually required for significant improvement.

Hydroquinone,Tretinoin cream
Corticosteroid creams, Glycolic acid peels
Azelaic acid
Chemical peels, laser treatments  may be helpful  but may aggravate pigmentation in some cases.

Have an Answer?
Top Dermatology Answerers
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn to identify and prevent bites from summer’s most common pests.
Doctors argue for legislation to curb this dangerous teen trend in the latest Missouri Medicine report.
10 ways to keep your skin healthy all winter long
How to get rid of lumpy fat on your arms, hips, thighs and bottom
Diet “do’s” and “don’ts” for healthy, radiant skin.
Images of rashes caused by common skin conditions