Skin feels raw, but no rash

For years I've been having occasional episodes where small areas of my skin feel sore and tender. It tends to be on my torso somewhere, but I think I've experienced it on my upper legs and rear end as well.  Right now it's an area starting at my spine below my ribcage, and wrapping around my side to the front a bit. It's a sensation that my skin is raw, as if it's been scraped or carpet-burned.  Any contact with the area feels exactly as if I'm touching raw tender skin (probably less painful) and the discomfort seems to be just skin-deep.  There is never a rash or injury of any kind, and I can't trace it to any kind of lifestyle thing, activity, detergent, etc.  It's been going on for years, never lasts more than a few days, and is never more than mildly annoying.  It hasn't killed me yet, so I'm really not concerned that something's terribly wrong, but I'd like to know what it is and if anyone else has ever experienced it.  

I know this is an old query and I hope you don't have this anymore but I have recently had shingles and what you describe (apart from not having a rash) sounds similar. Have you had shingles in the past? Maybe you are getting mild flares of it. Is it a post-viral phenomenom? Is it on your left?

I also read your posts on the breast cancer site as I have something similar (I think). I also have decided it is a form of stretch mark as I was recently pregnant then had a miscarriage and my breasts seem to have shrunk dramatically so not surprising they look slightly different.
Hello Hypervigilant.

Sounds like you and I might have something similar.

I just came across your post while googling the symptoms I feel. I'm a 29 year old male in decent health but for years I've been feeling the same thing. Seems like it's always on my left side and comes around several times a year. The raw feeling arms to last a few days but sometimes (such as right now) it can last a week. Mine seems to get me around my inner thigh, hip, chest, and armpit area (again all on the left side).

My doctor has not clue what it might be other than shingles without the rash. Nothings changed in my life to bring this on. Same diet, same soaps, same laundry detergent, etc.

Have you had any luck determining what might be the cause of yours?
I've read most of the 136 answers and have come across a treatment for my tender, left inner thigh.  I'm 78 and never experienced this before. I don't know what caused it -- I'm a sun worshipper, have 1 to 2 alchohol drinks a day, and  havevery few allergies.

It started about 2 weeks ago and had been very annoying and painfull. I tried several hand creams and skin soothers to no success.

My wife (highly allergic to bee and wasp stings) suggested using some of her Hydrocortisone cream (OTC) in combination with one of her Hydroxyzine HCL 25mg tablets (Rx) that recently expired.  I did this for 3 or 4 days and noticed relief within the second day -- at first the fiery skin evolved to an itchy skin but the next day the itch went away 'til I'm almost normal.  I still apply the cream if I feel it's coming back.

IT WORKS so far.  I think both the cream and tablets are anti-histamines.  Good luck!
                                          2Dbunk
9/16/2017

I experience a raw to touch feeling but mines is all over.  It feels as if someone has removed a layer of skin and I can't be touched and it hurts to move.  I've been to both an Allergen and Rheumotologist but none has answers.  These symptoms go hand in hand with bone and joint ache, swelling of limbs and lumps on or around my feet and hands.  I've been tested for pious but nothing has come up.  All they are sure of is that I have some kind of autoimmune disease.  I'm looking for help too.
I have the same symptoms .. but is only the tops of my feet and the outside of my left thigh ..  my feet tend to feel swollen (but there not) hurts to walk at times or wear shoes .. in the last yr. Seems to be never ending. It is a constant pain and my skin feels like there as layers of skin missing .. at times I even get a golf ball size knot on the top of my left foot . Have you found out what it could ? Really would like to know if I have to deal with it or there is something they can do for it ...
Thanks for sharing this . Feel better
Ive been to both specialist but received no answers.  I've been tested for lupus but all blood work comes back negative which is good but bad because I'm getting no relief or resolution.
ive had that raw feeling only on my left side, on my thigh to my knee and inside my left thigh. anything that grazes it, is slightly painful. doesn't shingles show rashes, and blisters. could my keys in sweaty jeans be the cause.
please advise.
For the last couple days, I too have had a raw, carpet burn feeling on my right side, just below my hip bone. I thought too it may be the start of shingles, since I just had a dramatic change in my life. But no rash. Any anwers?
I have been experiencing these episodes of feeling raw and sore.it seems to be only my left side and on my bottom. Bottom of thigh and inner thigh. It hurts to sit on the toilet aa it is normally colder and makes the pain worse. I work at costco and stand alot it hurts to stand. It is really affecting my work and life. If anyone has any info please contact me wild_pintohorse***@****  i am unable to see my doctor as shes super busy and walk ins here suck they dont care to help. I am only 21
At yah  oo  ca
I received a notification that this thread had been updated.  Almost 4 years after posting the question, I still have occasional episodes of this.  Never a rash, just the sensation.  I've never asked a doctor about it, but am still very much alive and well, so whatever it is doesn't appear to be fatal.  Must be just one of those weird things!
A feeling of raw skin underneath left rib cage. Very sensitive to hot and cold items. It feels like being either scratched by a kitten or a paper cut. No rash, no underlying pain, Just on the surface. I originally thought it was just the skin being stretched due to a "small pot belly" but, this has been going on for over a week. And seems to expand horizontally on some days and stays local on other days. No surface damage. exposure to chicken pox when younger and do not know the symptoms of shingles except when it is full blown. *visual observation of great grandpa* Not sure what it is so treatment is unknown at this point. No changes of diet or other possible skin irritants.  
I've got a patch on the left thigh of about the same size as my palm exactly what you all say, raw to touch, not painful just annoying with no marks on the skin, i do keep my mobile phone in the left leg pocket ALL the time though, so i'm wondering whether that has anything to do with it? I've taken my phone out of there for the last week. I've noticed the slightly same feeling under my ribcage on the sides of my stomach, this is after heavy alcohol consumption so i persumed it was something to do with that, but linking them both together and the fact i've been eating alot recently and noticed i've put on weight i'm thinking it could be weight gain and the skin stretching? Either way i'm going to consult my GP wiithin the coming weeks so i'll see what he says.
You are all describing the same thing that is happening to me for the last few months.  Small patches of irritated skin on my back mostly, but no red marks or blemishes.  I have not seen a doctor about this, but I will mention it the next time I go.  I am glad hypervigilent is alive and well almost 4 years later, so I won't worry too much about it.   As an FYI, I don't drink, don't wear my cell phone on me much and have not gained any weight recently, so I don't think these are the causes of mine.  If anyone does get a diagnosis or finds things that work or make it worse, please share.